don't click here

Emulating Sonic CD for dummies

Print

Author Topic: Emulating Sonic CD for dummies  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Rolken

« on: February 14, 2004, 02:58:17 pm »
[originally posted on the first forum]

Normally I wouldn't make a topic like this. But Sega's been so incompetent in getting us Sonic CD on its own that I fear it never will. To my knowledge, it hasn't been on any compilation thus far, and for all practical purposes the PC version doesn't matter. The beef with the PC version, if you didn't know, is that it won't run with Direct X 9 / Windows XP, because it uses obsolete functionality. That's to be expected when Sega picks such a shoddy company as Expert to do its ports (and if the buzz on SADX PC is any indication, since the disappearance of Expert they've taken up the burden of making shoddy ports themselves).

So here is exactly what you need to do to get it working.

1) Get Gens, a Genesis/SegaCD/32X emulator. Make a directory somewhere on your PC and unzip it there.

2) Head over to the ISOs page of Sonic Stuff and download the BIOSes and the American or Japanese version of Sonic CD (they're all around 25MB zipped, so get ready to wait if you're on dialup). An ISO is kinda like a ROM, except it's a CD image instead of a cart. None of them have music. Unzip them to the same directory you put Gens in. If you don't care about music, you can skip the next two steps.

3) For the Japanese soundtrack (which is almost universally preferred over the American, though I like both), head over to this place; you need a GameSpy ID to download anything. If you don't have a GameSpy ID, try Sonic Stadium; they seem to be down now, but hopefully it'll be up by the time you try it. Prolly hackers again. All the music should be in the same directory as everything else. If anybody wants the American soundtrack I can rip it from my dysfunctional PC copy of Sonic CD, since I can't find it online.

4) Now we have to rename all the music files so Gens recognizes that they go with Sonic CD. They should be named as "[game name] [track].mp3", where [game name] is the name of the .iso. Time Warp (which you don't have, but isn't used in the game anyway) is Track 02, and numbering goes up from there. You have to number them 03, 04, etc - if you just use one digit, it won't work. So if you downloaded the American ISO, Palmtree Panic Present should become "scd_usa 03.mp3".

Edit: Here's the track listing, stolen from Sonic Cult.

2. - unused track -
3. Palmtree Panic Present
4. Palmtree Panic "G" mix
5. Palmtree Panic "B" mix
6. Collision Chaos
7. Collision Chaos "G" mix
8. Collision Chaos "B" mix
9. Tidal Tempest
10. Tidal Tempest "G" mix
11. Tidal Tempest "B" mix
12. Quartz Quadrant
13. Quartz Quadrant "G" mix
14. Quartz Quadrant "B" mix
15. Wacky Workbench
16. Wacky Workbench "G" mix
17. Wacky Workbench "B" mix
18. Stardust Speedway
19. Stardust Speedway "G" mix
20. Stardust Speedway "B" mix
21. Metallic Madness
22. Metallic Madness "G" mix
23. Metallic Madness "B" mix
24. Boss!!
25. Final Fever
26. Title
27. - unused track -
28. Zone Clear
29. Speed Up!!
30. Invincible!!
31. Game Over
32. Special Stage
33. Little Planet
34. Opening
35. Ending

5) Almost there! Open up Gens. If you try to load Sonic CD, you'll notice it complains about the BIOS files. What to do? Head over to Option -> Bios/Misc Files and you'll see a dialog for Sega CD bioses, with different countries. Hit Change and find the BIOSes you downloaded; you only need it for the country version you downloaded, but it doesn't hurt to set them all. The difference is that only the American BIOS calls it Sega CD instead of Mega CD and the European version is 50fps instead of 60 (which is why I said to download American or Japanese earlier). You may also want to hit Option -> Joypads to see what the input settings are as well.

6) Now if you try to load Sonic CD, it seems to work, but hit Start and it'll complain about RAM. Reboot (Tab) and hit A instead, and it'll take you to the CD player. Find Option and hit A again; it'll show you statistics and then take you to memory controls. Format the RAM and restart again. The game now should be fully working. Have fun! :)
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 07:12:09 pm »
Or, wait for sonic mega collection 2. I've heard rumors that they're releasing it, and for games it would have chaotix, sonic cd, sonic r, and some other rarely played games..But the rumors might not be true

I HOPE YOU DO

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 03:13:20 am »
Before hearing them talk about using the DS, I thought that Sonic Heroes would be it for a while. They've really churned out the games over the last couple of years (Sonic Advance 1/2, Adventure DX/2, Heroes, Mega Collection), so they probably won't stop there. Not if their sales are as good as they hope, anyway.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 11:42:20 am »
Before hearing them talk about using the DS, I thought that Sonic Heroes would be it for a while. They've really churned out the games over the last couple of years (Sonic Advance 1/2, Adventure DX/2, Heroes, Mega Collection), so they probably won't stop there. Not if their sales are as good as they hope, anyway.
yesm, that's what I'm counting on for playing sonic cd, another port with some classics.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Rolken

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 11:46:10 am »
I don't see it happening, sadly... they'll have to write an emulator for each of those games and they don't have the recognition of the Genesis ones so they probably won't sell as well either.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 12:39:17 pm »
I don't see it happening, sadly... they'll have to write an emulator for each of those games and they don't have the recognition of the Genesis ones so they probably won't sell as well either.
actually, I think that not being as well noticed as the genesis titles would increase sales because people would want to play games that they never got a chance to play before.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline F-Man

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 02:41:37 pm »
I got Sonic CD from eBay two days ago. :P As well as Sonic R, Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sega Smash Pack 2... Problem is that there is no music. Maybe I could try to do like for the ROM and manually download all the music...?

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 03:06:34 pm »
I got Sonic CD from eBay two days ago. :P As well as Sonic R, Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sega Smash Pack 2... Problem is that there is no music. Maybe I could try to do like for the ROM and manually download all the music...?
u could just find the songs, download on the computer and use an mp3, or if u don't have an mp3, burn it onto a cd.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline F-Man

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 12:43:55 am »
Here's a link where you can easily download all the music:

http://iug.sonic-cult.org/soniccdmusicfaceoff/

Just replace the second _ by a space for each file name.

I'm gonna try to download them on my Win98 to see if that works for the real game just like it does for the ISO. (I just wish my '98 would work right now. <_< )

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 04:18:17 pm »
Wow... I hadn't thought of getting a Sonic CD rom >.< Idiot me.

That site says that the PAL release was before US? That's odd. And also that the US release had different music... does that mean the PAL one has the Japanese music?

In which case, why not use that for your JP soundtrack needs?

*downloading PAL Sonic CD ISO*

Oh whoops... only just read you saying about 50fps...

I thought it was just that we had 50Hz refresh rate instead of 60? Or does that mean exactly the same thing?

Idiot me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 04:19:46 pm by CosmicFalcon »
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 04:22:00 pm »
That site says that the PAL release was before US? That's odd. And also that the US release had different music... does that mean the PAL one has the Japanese music?
I thought it was just that we had 50Hz refresh rate instead of 60? Or does that mean exactly the same thing?

Bingo.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 04:31:52 pm »
Okay... well... for fear of being a dummie (which I probably am, so)...

I get a message from Eggman, "RAM cartridge is not initialized." What do I do? I tried changing the SRAM size in the options menu but to no avail.

Also, neither of those sites work. The first one tells me the page cannot be found, and if I just use the domain address it crashes my browser. The second one is down because their host owes the server money.

What to do?
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 04:48:29 pm »
for the RAM, see number 6. Both of those sites were hosted by SA.net (this is an old topic); I don't know anywhere else to get the music, so maybe I'll upload it here.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 05:00:16 pm »
Oooh, missed number six  :ph34r: Okay, I'm playing it now.

I never knew how weird Sonic games were with just SFX... no music...

Offline F-Man

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 10:14:23 pm »
Why didn't you guys see my post? ;_;

Offline Rolken

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 01:41:33 am »
Oh, I'd forgotten about it when I read his post.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 05:57:55 am »
Oooh sorry F-Man...

...and thanks, F-Man!

Offline Cybrax

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004, 07:49:31 am »
How long has knuckles chaotix been a game on this site?

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 12:57:04 pm »
I just added it yesterday.  Still no times yet.

And for those who want the PC version to work instead of a Sega CD ISO, I can finally say there's a fix that works.

Print

Hits: 698 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.