don't click here

Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal And Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice Competition Now Live

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal And Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice Competition Now Live  (Read 20476 times)

Offline Zurggriff

The Sonic Boom series has finally made its way onto the site with charts available for Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal and Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. Now grab your scarf, put on some sports tape, and submit your stats!
Championships held: Sonic 2, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Mania, Sonic 4: Episode Metal, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Forces

Zero Point Championships held: Sonic 4: Episode Metal

Offline SonicandInuyasha

Thanks for putting charts up for the Boom games by the way. there's seems to be some bugs with the ring stats, I can't see my comment for my ra for any ras I did for the game so far.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
I see comments for your ring submissions in both Sonic Boom 3DS games here.

Offline SonicandInuyasha

I mean when you click on my ring stats for Fire and Ice it shows that I did not post anything for the level.
Also when you click on my boss times it shows my ring stats for some reason.
I love to play Mario and Sonic games with a mix of Donkey Kong and Kirby games. Yes I'm a Nintendo nerd.

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
Okay I see what you mean here.

Shows ring stats: http://www.soniccenter.org/members/sonicandinuyasha/sonic_boom_fire_&_ice/bosses/sticky_situation/boss

It's probably an issue with DirGen due to the category ordering. I'll see if this can be fixed.

EDIT: Simply rerunning DirGen fixed it. I guess that works.

Offline Zurggriff

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice Rings charts could use some clarification for competition rules. The main levels have a Challenge Room that is only accessible as long as the item within has not been collected. Exiting the Challenge Room by collecting the item or via the menu will reset the rings available in the level, whether or not they have been previously collected. A site rule prohibits collecting the same rings more than once which prevents players from reaching 999 rings on these levels. However, allowing one entry into the Challenge Room creates the problem that players have to either avoid rings that were previously collected or keep track of recollected rings and subtract that value from the total. As far as I could tell, three of the levels have rings that are unavoidable, forcing the player to recollect some rings, and most other levels require going out of the way to avoid these rings.

With that said, these are some recommendations for rules for Rings charts, in order of my preference:

* Prohibit access to the Challenge Room (Keeps competition simple, but cuts out the rings in the Challenge Rooms.)

* Allow the Challenge Room, limited to one entry, and allow collecting the rings that respawn (May be somewhat arbitrary, but avoids any problems with tracking rings that are collected twice and keeps the Challenge Room rings open for competition. Backtracking might add to the difficulty in competition.)

* Allow the Challenge Room, prohibit collecting rings more than once (Requires attention to which rings are collected. Some Challenge Rooms would be inaccessible without new discoveries.)

* Allow the Challenge Room, subtract rings that are collected more than once (Requires attention to which rings are collected and displayed ring total will frequently not match the value submitted to charts, but keeps the Challenge Room rings open for competition. Backtracking might add to the difficulty in competition.)
Championships held: Sonic 2, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Mania, Sonic 4: Episode Metal, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Forces

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
If the Challenge rooms are that volatile, they should be treated like Sonic 2 Special Stages (which do the same thing, reset the Rings throughout the level) and be outright disallowed. Even in Sonic 3, Bonus stages were not allowed even if you didn't collect anything inside the bonus stages, simply because it would reset many aspects of the level, such as water level, enemy placement, and removal of active glitches (though Rings were not one of those things).

Challenge rooms read like it does Sonic 3's shenanigans with Sonic 2's reset. Ban them outright.

Offline Zurggriff

The comparison to Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 is pretty good. One thing that sort of sets it apart from those games is that the Challenge Rooms play out just like the rest of the level, rather than a completely new style of game play. The fact that rings respawn after entering is problematic and no support has been shown to include them so prohibiting the Challenge Rooms is a sensible rule to start off with.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Style aside, what matters here are Challenge Rooms are instanced. As in, you have to load into them, then load back into the main level. That's particularly why there are similar bans in S2/S3. Forget about what happens inside of them. If it causes a level to reload, it should be banned.

Print

Hits: 273 | Hits This Month: 4 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.