don't click here

ATTN: Markoszarrate

Print

Author Topic: ATTN: Markoszarrate  (Read 9918 times)

Offline Parax

ATTN: Markoszarrate
« on: March 24, 2013, 03:06:10 am »
A few years back, you submitted a time of 3:10 on Death Egg 2, Sonic. Would you mind explaining how you got this stat? Also, how exactly did you forget about the second and third bosses on your older submissions on this chart?

http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_&_knuckles/times/death_egg_2/sonic

Offline Chrezm

Re: ATTN: Markoszarrate
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:49:05 pm »
Well, let's see... Those are kinda tricky questions, because I'm bad at remembering stuff...

Ok. Since I don't have a Genesis (boo), I used Kega Fusion in my old computer in order to try to beat the record at that time (3:15), and yes, it did ran at full speed. I do remember I used the right route (or tube) at the start of the level, and went pretty straight forward after that [I took a look at the map in order to do this, because I couldn't even remember that]. And, I did create a savestate at the 3:10 moment; but, due to unknown reasons, that computer is now dead broken and dead gone; and also due to unknown reasons, I didn't take a picture of that moment >:(. I'm unable to post any proof of the time right now, and I also tried it myself a couple times some months ago, failing to do accomplish my feat.

How did I forget about the second and third bosses? I can't remember the exact reasons why I thought the times were only counted until the first boss. Again, my bad memory played part on this.

Anyway, that was in 2010, the year in which I posted most of my times (just behind 2009 if I'm correct). During those years, I was all hyped about getting a record in a Sonic game, and, (I don't know why), I chose Death Egg Act 2 as the act to beat (probably because it was a hard one and few people posted records in there). But, the years have passed, and I lost interest in record-breaking (my latest post if I'm correct is the Sonic Colors one, done 9 months ago, and none of them is a good time to even fit inside the Top 15).

I don't have any interest on that stat anymore, and since I'm proof-less, the best thing to do right now is to remove that stat from the site. I don't care about what the staff decides on that stat, and I think Romulo The Brazilian will finally be happy again if it were to be removed.

Maybe, one day, out ot boredom, I'll try that act again. Not right now though. I've got a lot of stuff to do. In fact, I got surprised when I read the email about this, because I completely forgot about that, and even before I realized what happened, I thought some guy might have already beaten that time. Little did I know that 3:10 was still the record-time.

Hope this cleared any doubts.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:20:22 pm »
Oh I must have missed your answer to this, but I want to try to explain why I think you lied about this stat.

First of all you spent weeks if not months trying to get the "perfect time" so I find it weird how you'd give it up so easily if it was legit.

Second of all, the fact that you thought someone else would have beaten it by at least 1 second shows that you think it's unoptimised and don't really know how perfect a 3:10 actually is.

Third of all, your description of your route is lacking at best. You went right in the first tube and then just followed the level? I understand it was a couple years ago now but no mention that getting an electric shield in act 1 is pretty much required for it? No mention of the innumerous difficult jumps anywhere in the level? 2 cycle fingers? Not even unloading the stairs? If you spent months trying to improve this level I would expect a better description than "pretty straight forward".

Also, getting a time like this requires top-tier execution skill, none of which show in any other of your submissions for the game. I can understand the reasoning behind filler times or having a few stages that are your favourites. But looking at your other submissions close to the date you submitted the WR time; 0:58 AI1 Sonic (59 submitted the same day)? 1:09 IC2 Sonic (with several attempts being made)? I will admit some of the times are pretty decent but by no means are they Romulo, SDM or eredani quality.

So the question isn't whether or not the stat should be removed. It's whether or not you lied about it, and right now I'm not convinced you didn't

Offline Chrezm

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »
Before starting my post, I will apologize for the late reply. I've been busy lately, and only came across this post on Sunday, and finally got time to answer your post.

With your first point, after realizing my stupidity with the 2nd and 3rd bosses stuff, I probably quitted trying, and that's why there's a huge gap with the 3:17 from November 23, 2009 and the 3:10 I posted in March 29, 2010. I can't remember why I have decided to give it a try again after so long (maybe I wanted to have a record for myself, I don't know).

With the second point, I also think the level could be done a few seconds faster, but I got no idea on how to do it. How perfect I think 3:10 is? I don't know, it's pretty hard to give a precise estimation on how perfect the stat is, since I haven't replayed Death Egg Act 2 like I did 3 years ago, with that much practice. I lost that in the 3+ years the stat went live.

With the third point, after looking at the map, I think I got my route back deep from my brain: Straight until the first tunnel, there's an electric shield at the start, which as you said, is quite required for the run I made. Then, I went in the tunnel, went RIGHT, then followed the path. Some extra notes: I quickly spindashed in the first set of staircases so I could squeeze in and gain some time (probably got that after watching mike89's run, which is in the video section), and I mostly followed mike89's run (of course, about the 1:16 mark, I did follow the normal route, as I can't fly as Sonic over the teleporter). From the first boss, I think I got lucky, because, as far as I can remember, I remember nothing about it.

And with the last point, as I said in my previous post, I'm pretty sure I was decided to get a record, and (I still can't remember for sure) decided to do Death Egg Zone Act 2. Maybe because it was the hardest one. Maybe because not many people have done it before. I don't know. What I do remember (and you are right about it) is that I played DEZ 2 over and over again, for some weeks, and that was probably the only one time I actually got that far into speedrunning. I haven't really focused as much as I did on DEZ 2 in other zones, and that's why some (if not most) of the stats aren't really considered speedrunning. Most of them I probably did for the heck of it, and I'd guess I made them as a filler, in order to gain a higher spot in the S3/S&K complete ranking list.

And, finally, as I said in my last post, I don't really much care about what happens with the 3:10 stat. I only wanted to clear it out that I did not lie by posting the 3:10 stat. It was all done legit, in an emulator running at full speed (because I don't own a Mega Drive), starting from the level select screen, selecting Death Egg Zone Act 2. I did not start with the lightning shield, I obtained it before the first tunnel. Anyway, I don't care about it as much as I did 3 years ago, and if it seems needed, it should be removed, and I will not complain. I don't have as much time as I had 3 years ago in order to attempt to speedrun DEZ 2 and try to get close, tie (or even beat) the 3:10 mark. And that's the reason I haven't been able to actually answer to your post. Hope this clears any doubts.

Offline TimpZ

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:19:41 pm »
I'm very doubtful you would obtain the electric shield in the level as it wastes a second or two compared to getting it in act 1, and since you said you were on an emulator there would have been no problem to savestate with it just before the level started and to then use that for your runs.

All that you mention about the route is things you can see plainly in Mike's video. His time was 3:21 and that's with using a shortcut that saves about 10 seconds, so basically you're saying you saved around 20 seconds compared to that video from pure optimisation. This is roughly how that would look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdIkV481H0#t=34m47s

This is a video I made using savestates. It's not 100% optimised and perhaps 2-3 seconds could be shaven off of that, but it also uses superhuman spindashing and jumping at places in order to get some insane jumps and tricks that only insane IL-runners would go for, and you got a second faster than this on what most people would call an inferior controller (keyboard or 3rd party USB-controller I'm guessing).

This is the main reason I don't believe you when you say you got this time while using inferior strats (like the electric shield), don't really care if it's deleted (as it would be one of the most prestigious runs on the site that you worked really hard to get) and lastly you believe a human could shave a couple seconds off of it. This is a case where the stat has such a level of optimisation that it's right at the edge of human capability, and it's claimed by someone who doesn't have proof, a sufficient explanation or in other ways shown that he is capable of such a time.

And so my argument is made and I will let the mods decide how to proceed.

Offline Parax

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:58 pm »
There's reason to doubt this stat is legitimate, but there's not a whole ton in the way of proof one way or the other. Since this thread hasn't been posted in for 8 months, and since Markos said he doesn't care what happens to the stat, I've suspended it. If he can come back and prove that it's legitimate he can resubmit it.

Print

Hits: 180 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1022.09 KB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.