don't click here

New year, it's time.

Print

Author Topic: New year, it's time.  (Read 5587 times)

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
New year, it's time.
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:44 pm »
Hello. I've been visiting this site almost every day for a bit over two years to watch videos and read guides, but only now did I work up the nerve to sign up for it. I've been playing Sonic games ever since the first one way back in 1991 as a kid, but it was strictly for fun; only in the last year or two did I start to put in the effort to do it competitively. I originally came over here via being linked from Speed Demos Archive.

The only game I consider myself any good at running at the moment is Sonic Adventure 2; I originally got into speedrunning it with the intention of challenging Petrie911's single-segment Dark side speedrun. In early July I recorded a 29:33 single segment run with no deaths; it was submitted to SDA but I had to withdraw it a few days after submitting due to it being obsoleted by Son1cGu1tar's run. I don't hold much of an illusion about ever holding any records for a game so intensely competed and optimized, but my goal now is just to keep my head down, learn as much as I can and see what the best I can achieve is. I've idolized the players here for a few years, and I find it awesome that this place is so serious about competition, but it also intimidates the hell out of me, which I why I was scared to join until now. But hey, I had to make some new year's resolution, so I resolved to stop being a chicken and sign up.

Uhhh... other stuff about myself: I play guitar and bass (I own 9 guitars, 1 bass and two uncompleted guitar projects), I'm a certified ProTools operator, and my favorite game of all time is Xenogears. I also play Touhou, but I really suck at it.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Zeupar

• The Watcher
  • Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • Sonical!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel (speedruns and travel videos)
Re: New year, it's time.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 08:04:09 pm »
Welcome to The Sonic Center and good luck competing. Hope to see you around from now on. Our forums aren't very active because most activity occurs over IRC, so feel free to join our channel whenever you need help or laughs.
Fail collection: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.
:o - :O - X) - :D
https://youtu.be/qpT5Md4TPJg?t=221

Offline yoshifan

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 05:12:26 am »
Hi SqwareEcks!  Good to see you here, and have fun competing.  This place is actually pretty laid back for the most part.  People in the IRC are often willing to help with strategies, site questions, chatting, and all that.

TSC might look serious/intimidating because of the Leaderboard Disputes forum, but if you're an honest player then you shouldn't have any problems.  (Even if you do get called out, it might just be that someone noticed a typo in your stat.)

I'm also really bad at Touhou, but I'm a fan of it anyway (especially the music).

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »
Hey dude! Nice to see a new serious competitor here on TSC. Like yoshifan said, TSC is currently pretty laid back, so if you put some effort into it, who knows what you can achieve here in the future! I'm personally just an average gamer, and I'm here on TSC simply because I love Sonic games. Anyway, see ya round, and good luck! (I suck at SA2B, so that's already 1 opponent you've ass-kicked!)
And if you don't already have one, I recommend downloading an IRC client (preferably mIRC) so you can easily use the chatroom. I hardly go on there myself, but it is a good way to get to know the community and learn about competition and all that. Anyway, that's about it, so bye and have fun!
StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

Offline SqwareEcks

• Always a day late and a buck short
  • TSC Profile
  • winxp firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 02:47:07 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Yoshifan, I'm very much looking forwards to watching you and Psyknux racing SA2 at the SDA marathon (hopefully my work schedule will let me watch it live, but if not I'll be looking for the recording whenever it's up).

I've actually never used IRC before, but I think I'm going to look at getting a client. I'm also planning on signing up at Youtube in the near future.
My life needs a rewind/erase button.
-Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline SpanielWare

• One can dream of a new Sega console, can't they?
  • TSC: danieldude
  • win10 chrome
  • "Better behave yourselves..."
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »
Nice one man. Hope all goes well.

StH JJ1 Sega++>+++ WkS+ AdS++ Arc++ Sal+++i!^"t Tal+++i^t Ant++ Coc++ Amy++!^"t Pen++!^" P+{++} Dfho{psw}[w] $+++{++++} E17~ Ay98 GM CoUK | Sega Technical Institute... engenders an unfortunate initialism.

<Starlight_Glimmer> i dont make the news I just report it

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:00:05 am »
Welcome to TSC, SqwareEcks! You're starting off with really impressive times in SA2. Ahhh, I wish I was that good when I joined. Keep it up and you'll be in the red for Times in no time.

Offline DATBOI | War Anvil

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »
Whoa.  You could very well be the new son1cgu1tar if you keep up.  Even better, at that!

Anyway, I bid you a warm welcome.
Hoo~!

Offline Gpro

• TSC: Gamepro011
  • win10 firefox
  • It's okay; don't worry about it
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »
Hm... I guitar player, eh? I'm a vocalist in the making. I, as well, formally invite you to TSC in the form of a forum post XD
Looking forward to seeing some of your vids on youtube ^_^

Print

Hits: 112 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.