don't click here

Sonic Generations Charts Discussion

Print

Author Topic: Sonic Generations Charts Discussion  (Read 123365 times)

Offline zcaliber

Re: Sonic Generations Charts Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:34 am »
No point banning super sonic, I didn't notice any significant benefits and like someone else said, you'd be better off spending points on other skills. We definitely need to have seperate boards for skills and no skills, since they'll make such a difference. There's a list of skills here if anyone's interested: http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/627224-sonic-generations/faqs/63262. Stop debating and make the charts!!!
God bless the great indoors.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:21 am »
Making charts specifically for skills and no skills is stupid and just means everyone will have to do everything twice.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline zcaliber

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:29:37 am »
*HAVE* to?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 09:34:34 am »
If they want to compete, then yes.

Offline zcaliber

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 09:41:59 am »
Well I want to compete on a FEW maps. haven't got time to do everything. does everyone just compete on the game as a whole? in that case you gotta decide on skills or no skills, or both but keep the charts completely seperate so people don't "have" to do everything. If it had to be one or the other I don't think I could decide

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:09 am »
Solution: One set of charts with skills allowed. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Offline Parax

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:34 am »
Skills/no skills are actually pretty different. On the modern side Seaside Hill for example is very different with endless boost than without. Also Planet Wisp has a huge shortcut that you need skills enabled to use. On the classic side, elemental shields are huge in basically every level. So I disagree that it's just doing the same thing twice and I'm all for separate skills/no skills charts, especially since a lot of people are going to want to do no skills runs considering the leaderboards don't allow skills.

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:49 am »
I completely agree with RPG, we should only have one set of charts because otherwise everyone would have to do each level twice if they want to compete.

Though while we're at it, we'd better get rid of the Tails/Knuckles charts in S2/S3&K.

Offline zcaliber

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:29 am »
Saying 'everyone' 'has' to do every map skills and no skills is rubbish, I can't be the only one who just likes to do a few maps?? Umbreons argument is sound, however. Keep em seperate, keep the rankings completely seperate, THEN the problem's solved, surely

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:47 am »
There aren't separate charts for Sonic06 for using those stupid emerald fragments/no using those stupid emerald fragments which are basically skills and completely change the way the levels play, so why bother for Generations?

Offline Parax

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 10:08:02 am »
Because Generations has leaderboards that disallow skills which means a ton of people are going to be doing serious attempts at competing without skills?

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 10:10:19 am »
A BLOO BLOO BLOO

Also implying online leaderboards are more important than TSC's

Offline zcaliber

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:23 am »
Which is more important is irrelevant. You can't dispute what he's saying is correct

Offline Luxray

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 10:11:42 am »
No but it seems really dumb to do that just for another 10 rings and I discussed it with SonicAD on IRC and I'm pretty sure he agreed with me >_>

Sonic Triple Trouble. Sonic 1 GG. You've dealt with it before, deal with it again.

I say, have seperate charts for skills, allow SS, disalow the 10 rings skill for ring runs, because, its like, If you allow it, then everyone will do it, making it a mandatory item for ring runs, so its just an extra thing you have to do before each ring run, and, one less item you can use.

Well then, i sure hope you don't complain about having to collect rings in a ring attack(!)
Seriously though, it has precedent on this site before, and as previous posters have said, just Start>Restart. That seems like a fairly simple thing to do, rather than dying 3 times (S1GG) or having to finish a previous level with X amount of ring (STT).

As for the Ring Time Skill, it sounds like a way to stop the charts having everyone maxing the levels. However, judging by all your reactions to it, it also sounds like it would discourage competition. I'll leave this one to admins.

Now for the Skills v No Skills charts:

IT'S CALLED FREESTYLE FOR A REASON

Seriously, have the initial time/score charts for no skills, and the freestyle chart of any combination of the skills. People shouldn't have to play time attack the same level with the same character in two different ways unless they want to. Also RPG, any discussion point raising S06 is retarded, because those charts are absolutely terrible as it is.

I agree with flying fox on this one. It's definitely pretty stupid to just get another 10 rings added to your total. If you think about it, it's somewhat like the SADX rule, starting a level w/rings(carried over from Adventure Mode) isn't allowed in RA in the charts, so I think it ought to be applied here, and, as I said before, it is kind of pointless to easily start with 10 rings, especially if it must be unlocked to use it. That is a little... averting, in my opinion. It would piss me off, too, if I just started the game AND want to compete in it.

You can't with S06, Sonic Unleashed AND Sonic Colours (just to name a few). In fact, you pretty much have to play the game a bit before you can properly compete, which actually makes sense. Ring Attacks aren't actually something someone can do on their first playthrough either. If they do, they'll either miss certain tricks, or miss certain areas.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:38:05 am by Luxray »
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 10:15:05 am »
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THE SONIC06 CHARTS ARE A TOWERING BASTION OF ORDER.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 10:20:15 am »
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THE SONIC06 CHARTS ARE A TOWERING BASTION OF ORDER.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 10:25:16 am »
WELL PLAYED

Offline flying fox

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
No but it seems really dumb to do that just for another 10 rings and I discussed it with SonicAD on IRC and I'm pretty sure he agreed with me >_>

Sonic Triple Trouble. Sonic 1 GG. You've dealt with it before, deal with it again.

In S1GG you're starting off with 0 rings and you have to finish the act with x0 rings to get another 10 rings from the signpost. In STT yes you die at the signpost at the right time so you restart the act with 50 rings. The point I'm trying to make here is that in neither of those games are you just pausing the game and going to restart so that you can get another 10 rings. That was what seemed really dumb to me! If people want it allowed then fine, I only wanted to point it out because I would like to start raing this game since I'll have some spare time soon.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • android chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:57 pm »
As someone who will actually play this game, I can tell you my opinion. Have separated charts for both skills and no skills like Unleashed have separated charts for the DLC stages, this way you'll compete on whatever you like without worrying about not being on the top of the charts just because you don't want to play everything again.
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline zcaliber

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 05:59:56 pm »
maybe make a poll... i'm not too fussed though really, someone just make a decision and i think people will deal with it. i will anyway

Offline Parax

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »
As someone who will actually play this game, I can tell you my opinion. Have separated charts for both skills and no skills like Unleashed have separated charts for the DLC stages, this way you'll compete on whatever you like without worrying about not being on the top of the charts just because you don't want to play everything again.

making an entire game for separate skills/no skills charts is stupid. unleashed only has a separate game for DLC charts so people can stand a chance competing in the main game without spending a ton of money on DLC. you've got everything you need to compete with and without skills in the package you already paid for with generations.

Offline Ben

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »
Not that I'll ever play this game, but I reckon it'd be a mistake to exclude one or the other.

Sounds like the skills are basically equivalent to having a second playable character, for example Blaze in Sonic Rush. The competition would have been a lot less interesting if there had only been one set of charts in that game. Super Sonic in Sonic Colours is another good example.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • android chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »
So there's no way to not piss someone off, I would prefer separated categories but on the same chart, I only said that(the idea on my last post) because I can't think of any other solution to this discussion that makes everyone get what they want. If you're good with skills then you'll get a championship, if you're good without skills then you'll get one too, there would be no need to play every stage with and without skills to get a good ranking. Also, I don't care about championships(just in case of someone missing the point of my argument). I don't care if it ends on entirely separated game charts or just different divisions for the same game, which I do prefer(just clarifying because my last post didn't left this clear), I only want the option of playing without skills at no cost on the rankings of each stage.
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
On a related tangent, exactly what are the charts going to be?

Times is a given. Scores, unless I'm mistaken, are just a duplicate of times and aren't needed? Then there's Rings, and are we going to track rings for the challenges as well as the acts or not? The game doesn't save your rings stats like it does for Times+Score, but it does still tell you when you get a higher amount than on a previous run. Challenges only save times, like bosses. Boss rings are pointless as there is an infinite source. Anything else?

Offline flying fox

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:34 am »
I can't see any reason why rings can't be tracked for challenges. In games like Unleashed the game doesn't save your rings either but we still track those. All you have to do is just check your ring amount before you hit the signpost. As for bosses I believe there are only two that aren't infinite which are Death Egg Robot and Perfect Chaos.

What I want to know is will we be tracking just the normal mode bosses or will we include hard mode bosses as well?

Offline Axon

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:59 am »
Scores, unless I'm mistaken, are just a duplicate of times and aren't needed?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Score is basically Time Bonus + Ring Bonus. There is no score increase for enemy kills or anything like that.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:11 am »
Scores, unless I'm mistaken, are just a duplicate of times and aren't needed?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Score is basically Time Bonus + Ring Bonus. There is no score increase for enemy kills or anything like that.

Yes, but with that, it becomes "Grab as many rings before time
  • for highest score!" And that's mostly how score charts work, unless they're broken levels.
I can't see any reason why rings can't be tracked for challenges. In games like Unleashed the game doesn't save your rings either but we still track those. All you have to do is just check your ring amount before you hit the signpost. As for bosses I believe there are only two that aren't infinite which are Death Egg Robot and Perfect Chaos.

What I want to know is will we be tracking just the normal mode bosses or will we include hard mode bosses as well?

I'm just going to throw this on a post, even though i've said this in the chat. The way they should work is 'default' settings. By default it's what the game throws you into before you change the difficulty settings. Having charts for both normal and hard is feasible, but you'd have to make sure that the levels are different enough in strategy rather than longer because of X amount of hits. Otherwise you're just doubling up a chart, one longer than the other.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2011, 07:21:54 am »
I'm pretty sure Perfect Chaos hard sends you in a completely different area for one hit.  Can't say the same for Death Egg Robot though.  I'd need someone to confirm it though >_>
Hi

Offline Axon

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:00 am »
Oh, I was also wondering what the deal is with PC vs Console versions. I've asked about 4 other PC players and none of them seem to be able to perform the superspeed glitch properly, so I'm guessing it's a version difference.

I'm assuming it's not a significant enough difference to consider the two versions seperate games, but I thought I may as well just ask. It will kinda suck not being able to get anywhere near any of the classic sonic times because of version :/

Offline Inuyasha

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 07:36:03 am »
Oh, I was also wondering what the deal is with PC vs Console versions. I've asked about 4 other PC players and none of them seem to be able to perform the superspeed glitch properly, so I'm guessing it's a version difference.

I can pull it off consistently in one area on the PC version, and everywhere else I fail at it.  Even though I'm doing literally the exact same thing hundreds of times.

I don't know what's up with it.

Print

Hits: 290 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.24 MB | Time: 0.13s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.