don't click here

Emulation

Poll

Would you prefer the new rule or the old one?

New
Old
    Print

Author Topic: Emulation  (Read 17504 times)

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Emulation
« on: December 28, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »
Recently, DS Emulation has been allowed, despite some players unable to run any DS emulator to 60 FPS speed.

Note that you may not use an emulator to compete if that emulator can't run at 60 FPS; due to such usage being considered slowdown.

To simplify this rule that seems to need constant updates, I propose a simpler, more consistent emulation rule that I think many of us can agree on. Post your thoughts after reading, whether you support or oppose the rule change. A poll has also been included if you wish to keep your stand anonymous.

Rule proposed to be removed:

* Unofficial emulators that do not replicate correctly the original gameplay are not allowed. This currently spans PSP, Dreamcast and any newer non portable consoles, and more.

New rule proposed:

* You may use any emulator for competition under two conditions: the original gameplay is preserved and unmodified, and your copy of the emulator performs at full speed (60 FPS in general).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:32:46 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
Re: Emulation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »
This is something that would help the legit people a lot, and is what I was waiting for since I my DC broke, but I won't put my hopes high anyway :/
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:13:18 pm »
the spirit of the rule is "Don't TAS, don't use flash-slow", as far as I know

the rewording seems to fit it better
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:19:44 pm »
@Brian: I seriously doubt this is gonna let you use Chankast. That emulator does not perform at full speed for anyone.

Offline Brian

• Mr. Shortcut
  • TSC: Brian_pso
  • win10 chrome
  • Saving Chao from danger, even if it's too hard
    • View Profile
    • My youtube account
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:18 am »
Oh man, how is possible to people still think about chankast as the main DC emulator out there? NullDC is by far the best emulator, and since it's source code was released, many improvements were done in every aspect of the emulator, every single glitch or bug that's not present in the game, therefore being caused by any emulation problems, that have been reported by users, were fixed, not to mention that the emulation speed is not a problem since a long time ago for most of people out there.

The same thing goes for GC emulation, the Dolphin emulator gets a new update every few hours, it runs almost every game that was released for GC and Wii, and SA2B is one of the examples of the games that runs perfectly, together with SSBM and many more, so the emulation problems or framerate argument are not valid anymore, of course there are people out there that can't emulate these games with the speed needed, but that's something we can't control even in the 2D emulators.
My SA2 patents: Instant Spindash, Green Forest's invisible floor, Green Forest's spring technique, Radical Highway's flying homing attack, Gravity Control, Flying Scope   <- NEW

Vote for PHILLIP BANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vg7ZAaR7AU

Offline Luxray

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »
* You may use any emulator for competition under two conditions: the original gameplay is preserved and unmodified, and your copy of the emulator performs at full speed (60 FPS in general).

That "60 FPS in general" should not be in there. Full speed is dependant on the rom and console. Otherwise this is a better wording.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »
Final revision per chat discussion; if anyone has qualms, speak now or forever hold your DesMuMe:

You may use any emulator for competition using the following conditions:

* The original game and all its contents are preserved and unmodified.
* Your copy of the emulator performs at full speed while playing the game you're submitting for (60 FPS in most cases).
* Any action performed during the run (be it an in-game action or by use of an emulator function) that cannot be replicated on console voids your stat.

Offline Magnezone

• Broseidon
  • TSC: SkyLights
  • win7 firefox
  • YOU CAN PROBABLY READ MY POSTS BETTER NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »
I am in agreement with this rule, but two charts in particular spring to mind when it comes to this rule: Marble 1 and Marble 3 in Sonic 1. Has anyone actually done that zip on a console? I'm under the impression that it's impossible/near impossible because of how close you have to time the left/right inputs. That's something that's always bothered me about it. My guess is that it's more possible on a Playstation console because of the way the D-Pad is fractured on that.

Offline Luxray

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:04:55 am »
^I've seen Parax pull off the Marble 3 zip on the XBLA version, if that means anything.
<+DsS|away> eat a dick
<+GerbilSoft> actually i could

<Umbreon> sleeping with cruizer is awesome

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:03 am »
I eventually did Marble 1's zip on a Genesis, if that means anything.
Probably doesn't <_< >_>

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »
I've done marble zips, among others, on both collection and Genesis.  The only emulator-only thing I could think of would be where the emulator makes up lag, maybe (That's FCEU when I was working on Mario, and it was a fair bit easier on emu than console, don't know if it effects Genesis).
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline werster

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:55:41 am »
Isn't marble 1 just about the only legit video SDJ provided, which was 0:22 on console? Meh...

Though I agree it would be insane for me at least to hit those bitches on console, while we all have the option to use emulator there is no reason they shouldn't remain the way they are.

Print

Hits: 1,244 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.08 MB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.