don't click here

SA... SADX

Print

Author Topic: SA... SADX  (Read 9917 times)

Offline F-Man

SA... SADX
« on: February 10, 2004, 11:50:15 pm »
I've been thinking this for a while: I really think there should be different rankings for each version. Both are just too different to be mixed together.

Let's see... (all Sonic)

Ice Cap: There is a shortcut that works better on DC, 5 seconds difference.

Twinkle Park: There's a shortcut that only works on DC, 20 seconds difference.

Final Egg: Shortcut that doesn't work on DC, 50 seconds difference.

Also, the camera is different from one version to the other, the controls don't feel the same much and there is less fog in the GCN version which lets you see objects further away (helful for Tails' Windy Valley). I'm sure there are other stuff too, but I'm too tired right now to remember them.

So what do you all think?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 06:13:50 pm by F-Man »

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
SA... SADX
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 06:20:53 pm »
If you want a complete guide of changes, go here. Gamefaqs.com is where I normally go for gaming information, but I can't join the message board because I don't have an account at cox.com, and they won't let you in without one. but my name makes a camio in the faq for helping the writer with Chaos' and  chao story in the faq :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004, 09:21:36 pm by blueblaze »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline F-Man

SA... SADX
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 07:26:57 pm »
If you want a complete guide of changes, go here. Gamefaqs.com is where I normally go for gaming information, but I can't join the message board because I don't have an account at cox.com, and they won't let you in without one. but my name makes a camio in the faq for helping the writer with Chaos' and  chao story in the faq :D
I already know the changes in shortcuts between each games (and that FAQ doesn't even tell them), I'm just asking if it would be a good idea to seperate both version's rankings on the site.

Oh and you don't need an cox.com account to join GameFAQs... But joining GFAQs isn't even worth it anyway, so yeah

Offline SadisticMystic

SA... SADX
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:51:34 pm »
Referrer Link Error

On every single HTML page of GameFAQs is the following request:
Feel free to link to this page, but not directly to the FAQs.
You're seeing this error message because it appears that you're linking from an external site directly to one of the text files stored at GameFAQs. GameFAQs is not a free public file server. Bandwidth costs money, and when sites link directly to files stored on the site, it becomes both a financial and resource drain. We've tried asking, but some sites simply don't care, so now we've implemented a technical solution.

Your browser is reporting that you linked to a GameFAQs-hosted FAQ from http://www.soniccenter.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=50&hl=.

There are four possible reasons you are seeing this message:

You came from a direct link to a FAQ on GameFAQs from another site, and your link was properly blocked. See the paragraph above for why.
Your web browser is passing improper URL data in the Referrer header. Your web browser may be over-compensating for a mistake you made in the address bar, and passing this information unintentionally. To fix this, just click the "Home" link on the left and surf normally.
Your web browser is passing forged URL data in the Referrer header. Some browsers can be configured to hide referrer information, but instead of passing a blank header, it passes a forged one. To fix this, change your browser's security settings. If you are using Opera and having problems, try viewing this page for some pointers.
You are behind a firewall or proxy server, and it is passing forged URL data in the Referrer header. If you are using one of these services, you or your network administrator may need to change the configuration.

Offline F-Man

SA... SADX
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 08:15:36 pm »
...Add a space to URL and press Enter.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
SA... SADX
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 09:24:22 pm »
oops, does that mean I'm costing them money? I changed the link to the regular gamefaqs site because I don't want them wasting their money because of bandwith.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline SadisticMystic

SA... SADX
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:47 pm »
http://db.gamefaqs.com/.txt gives the same message, and wouldn't lead to any page even if there was no restriction.

In cases like this, you normally link to the game index page that contains all FAQs for that game (hint: it won't start with a "db").

Offline SuperSonic101

SA... SADX
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 02:17:10 pm »
The same thing with SA2, DC has a 15-20 second advantage in security hall 5, an advantage in wild canyon 2, and more. Gamecube has a slight advantage in the SC cannon's core. But it balances out for the most part. Separating them would be way too much hassle..but it's an interesting thought.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
SA... SADX
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 08:02:21 pm »
If u seperated them, then people would have to say if they got their scores on dreamcast, or gamecube. Many people wouldn't even bother naming which system. They should do that to heroes though, since Gamecube controls are different from PS2 controls, and PS2 controls Are different than  X-box Controls, etc.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline SadisticMystic

SA... SADX
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 08:07:14 pm »
Alternately, you could leave the charts as they are, but introduce a "System" attribute in the form of a drop-down tab that can be filled in on those levels that need it.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
SA... SADX
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 08:36:44 pm »
Alternately, you could leave the charts as they are, but introduce a "System" attribute in the form of a drop-down tab that can be filled in on those levels that need it.
yes, that would be good, it would end the debate on whether emulators and ports like mega collection make your times better.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline F-Man

SA... SADX
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 11:58:24 am »
All levels are different. The camera is different and I'm pretty damn sure that the speed is too.

What we could do is ask every players which version they use. Most people only use the GC version, others (like SM) use the DC one, and very few others (like me) use both. In cases like me, said people would just tell on what systems they did their times.

And about Sonic Heroes, the controllers might be different, but I doubt it makes a difference really.

Offline Rolken

SA... SADX
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 12:21:06 pm »
oops, does that mean I'm costing them money? I changed the link to the regular gamefaqs site because I don't want them wasting their money because of bandwith.
"Leeching bandwidth" is way, way, way, way, way overhyped. Take it from someone who runs a website. In fact, if you want to think of it that way, it costs me money every time you click a link on the site! But it's on such a small order of magnitude that it ends up being, like, a quarter per person (and I pay the same amount up until we reach a certain amount of bandwidth anyway). GameFAQs runs their own servers and no doubt has much better efficiency than we do, so I'd be surprised if the total cost of your linking came to a tenth of a penny; it's probably much smaller than that.

Besides, linking to the main GameFAQs page uses bandwidth too. oh nos.

What about dropdown tabs and such, now? Do y'all want it separated into Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX?
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Print

Hits: 219 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.06 MB | Time: 0.06s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.