don't click here

Regarding S2 Metropolis 3 Knuckles' rings

Print

Author Topic: Regarding S2 Metropolis 3 Knuckles' rings  (Read 19193 times)

Offline flying fox

Regarding S2 Metropolis 3 Knuckles' rings
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:38:16 am »
As you know the max amount of rings for Knuckles in this act is 222, because Knuckles does not have the same jumping power as Sonic so the last ring is always out of reach. However, I have found a way to get that last ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80rwBXOAA7E

That link will take you to a video of me obtaining all 223 rings. I have looked back at the video and checked the rules so I'm pretty sure that I haven't broken any. Debug mode wasn't used, no rings or monitors were respawned and I didn't enter a special stage or died after hitting one.

Sorry if I'm annoying anybody with this topic but I have a type of autism and sometimes I can get things wrong without realising it. So I would be very grateful if anybody out there would take the time to have a look at the video to check that I haven't broken any rules and that its legit. If it is legit then would that mean that the amount on the ring chart for Metropolis 3 Knuckles would change? Thats what I would like to know.

Thanks.

Offline SonicAD

Re: Regarding S2 Metropolis 3 Knuckles' rings
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:02 am »
Hey, that's perfectly legit man, go ahead and claim your record. I love when people take a record thought unreachable with a little bit of lateral thinking :D

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:21:13 am »
No issues in that one, good job, great find!

I have been ring attacking s2 a little bit, and your videos have been extremely helpful. This video proves you can do things that I am unable to do. :D

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
is it because the screen shifted at the end before the boss fight?  otherwise it doesn't make sense why you couldn't just get it before :/
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline flying fox

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:22:45 pm »
Sorry I don't know. I was just mucking around when I worked this out. That was the best place for Knuckles to spin dash and jump to grab the ring so the ring had to go off screen. I used the lines on the floor to indicate where to start spindashing.

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:24:45 pm »
well yeah I figured you had to go that far in order to spindash, but doing a spindash jump on a flat surface and getting more height seemed odd.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline flying fox

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 12:27:21 pm »
That is a very excellent point. I remember whenever I'm using that technique I'm using a slope to gain more height I think your right.

Offline SonicAD

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:41 pm »
is it because the screen shifted at the end before the boss fight?  otherwise it doesn't make sense why you couldn't just get it before :/

Doesn't look to have anything to do with that... I just tried to spindash from the end of the moving platform, and was able to grab the ring from there without getting to the scroll. Looks like it's just something obvious everyone forgot to try!

Offline flying fox

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
Doesn't look to have anything to do with that... I just tried to spindash from the end of the moving platform, and was able to grab the ring from there without getting to the scroll. Looks like it's just something obvious everyone forgot to try!

I knew it! As soon as posted this I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist having a go at it. XD Well done!

Offline Ring Rush

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:15:54 pm »
So...why haven't you submitted this yet? Claim the record thats rightfully yours.
Current Championships: SSR (5/26/08-Now)
Current Leaderships: SSR Chains [0 Point], SC Rings [0 Point], SSR Scores [0 Point], S3D Rings [0 Point], SSR Times, SSR Bosses
Past Leaderships: SA2 Rings, S1GG Rings, SUWii Rings, SBK Times, SBK Chains, SRA Rings, SRA Scores

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:10:05 pm »
My first impulse when reading the topic title was, "This is probably in the wrong section of the forum."  Let me tell you, I was more than a little surprised.  And got reminded of how I need to do this myself soon.
As a bit of a heads-up: you didn't get just the ring record, but due to the 50k perfect bonus, you blew the score record CLEAR out of the water.  Heck, even without the bonus, you would have received second place.  Congrats!
Next I want to see how you do on Hill Top 2 - Sonic.  <_<
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline flying fox

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:29 pm »
So...why haven't you submitted this yet? Claim the record thats rightfully yours.

I'm on to it now I'm :D

My first impulse when reading the topic title was, "This is probably in the wrong section of the forum."  Let me tell you, I was more than a little surprised.  And got reminded of how I need to do this myself soon.
As a bit of a heads-up: you didn't get just the ring record, but due to the 50k perfect bonus, you blew the score record CLEAR out of the water.  Heck, even without the bonus, you would have received second place.  Congrats!
Next I want to see how you do on Hill Top 2 - Sonic.  <_<

0_0 I forgot about the score lol yeah your right I'll claim that as well. I've looked at the video so many times and I reckon the score can be improved slightly its a possibility but those grasshoper things are annoying and the crabs. Sorry I'm still a newbie I really need to get to grips where topics should really go. I will be doing a video of Hill Top 2 as Sonic very soon since those last five rings are a pain. I manage to find an ok way of obtaining them. 

Offline EngiNerd

• Most Sarcastic Member of the Year
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
  • Hydrowhut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 06:05:34 am »
There's actually an easy way to tell how much the score can be improved....  Look at Stanski's score.  His was likely among the best someone could get without that ring (probably not THE best, but close).  By grabbing that one ring, someone could stand to add 50100 points to that, for 75000.  That should at least be obtainable, and could possibly be the best possible.
And, did you say you actually found an OK way for those last rings?  Now I'm REALLY interested.
Im in ur TSCz, climin ur chartz!
My presssioussss....

Offline flying fox

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:41:05 am »
Even better had a little practice this morning, found a way to keep my shield right to the end of the act will make a vid of it very soon but won't be able to upload it for a while. I was on the internet way too long yesterday and my mum noticed this. I'm not supposed to be on the internet for too long. :(

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »
Knux TAS score max is 77600 now, iirc

massive kudos again, dude
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline flying fox

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 05:40:24 pm »
Thanks btw if anybody's interested as you can see from the score chart in Oil Ocean 2 nobody has got over the 50k so obviously no pefect bonus. I have found another 3 rings, unfortunately there is no way to collect them, which is a shame. There're surrounded by those green gas tanks.

Offline Aitamen

• TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
  • I am a follower of the immortal Dark Falz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:02 am »
just like AR, where the only way to get them is to tails-edge-glitch them...  and there's no way (even in TAS) to do such a thing consistantly
Year 33 — The Malkavians claim that their greatest practical joke happened during this year, when they perform a bit of graverobbing  in Jerusalem.
-- Vampire: The Masquerade

Offline Azure

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 08:38:21 am »
Stop it you guys, you're making me want to compete in 2d games again.

Offline douglas

• TSC Grand Vizier
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
    • douglasgresham.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 09:09:15 am »
YOU MUST COMPETE OR ELSE I'LL HATE YOU AND CRY AND STUFF
This topic has now been officially won by me.  Never mind, you might do better next time!
www.douglasgresham.co.uk - it's in the intarwebs, it must be true!

Offline Azure

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »
YOU MUST COMPETE OR ELSE I'LL HATE YOU AND CRY AND STUFF

Admit Sonic Advance 2 special stages are cool and I will.

blast

Print

Hits: 1,089 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.20 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.