don't click here

Sonic 3: Icecap 1 Tails/Knuckles Charts Reinstated.

Print

Author Topic: Sonic 3: Icecap 1 Tails/Knuckles Charts Reinstated.  (Read 26860 times)

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Sonic 3: Icecap 1 Tails/Knuckles Charts Reinstated.
« on: July 05, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »
Just in case the Rules committe post wasn't loud enough:

Icecap 1 Tails/Knuckles rings are now re-instated, with exception to the fact that you may not go over Sonic's boss in S3K.

Videos explaining these actions were requested, and I have them posted here for viewing/editing.

Offline Muzozavr

Re: Sonic 3: Icecap 1 Tails/Knuckles Charts Reinstated.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:33:49 pm »
LOL, this trick is so funny to watch!
Did you know that if after doing this, you try to go BACK and fight the boss, it will never appear? You'll get stuck!
Proud to discover a new glitch on Sandopolis 1 as Tails

Offline SB737

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:48:43 pm »
[Reposted here]

I feel that this rule: "In Icecap 1, if you are locked on to Sonic & Knuckles, you may not skip the Act 1 boss." should be removed. If you are allowed to skip the Act 1 boss in Sonic 3, then why not in Sonic 3&K, they are practically the same game. However it was brought to my attention by anonycat that items boxes respawned if you skipped the boss in S3&K. That is the only reason that I know of that the rule is in place. However even if item boxes do respawn, it doesn't mean you have to collet them twice. For example there is a respawning monitor in Oil Ocean Sonic 2&K, however that stage is still ring attacked, you just don't collect it twice, and other rules compensate for that situation anyway, saying you may not obtain the same ring more than once.  So even if a ring monitor was to respawn in the level you would just avoid getting it again.

I'll leave iut up to the admins to decide what they think of the idea. If it is decided that the rule will remain the same then these stats will need removing - http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_3/rings/icecap_1/knuckles
http://www.soniccenter.org/rankings/sonic_3/scores/icecap_1/knuckles

But I hope the rule is changed, please let me know either way what the decision is thanks :)
Current Championships: Sonic 3

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)
<SonicBoom737> I hate you Zeupar
<Zeupar> I love you SonicBoom737, though <3

Offline FocusSight64

• Language Geek
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 firefox
  • Your Friendly Neighbourhood Weeaboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:04 pm »
Okay, you need to repost this here?
The point of it?

You've already made a forum topic. You don't need to get your point across any more after that, from what I know, because your post would be the front page due to being the most recent post.

EDIT: Derp. Didn't see that you deleted the older post. <_<
Proud supporter of Cookie☆ (クッキー☆) MADs.

Offline SB737

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:25 am »
flyingfox mentioned to me that thorn said that this rule will stay in place, so could i request my stats be removed by an admin thanks :)

<CodeGirl> [-New Record-] Zeupar got 1:21:25 on SAdva / Times / Egg Rocket 1 (Tails)

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
I almost raised total hell when I woke up this morning and saw I had 1 point again. Thought it was time for me to wake up.

Never mind. Back to being dormant.

Offline SB737

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »
Well this time you really will have to wake up sdm, because you have got 1 point again, only this time its legit :P i got 765, but i realise where i missed 5 rings so 770 is possible, hard as hell though

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:04:08 am »
There are 813 rings possible to collect in this stage. 813-760 = 53. 50 rings are on the ski slope, and if you have a ring count of 765, then you got up there somehow. I will not be able to best you unless you show me how you got up there. Slope glitch will kill you because of S3's kill plane in this stage, as far as I understand.

Offline SB737

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »
You do use the slope glitch to get the extra rings, i managed what I preceive to be the max possible rings, made a video too: http://youtu.be/NhW9nynsI0k
Have fun ;)

EDIT: Managed to improve sonic's ice cap 1 too - http://youtu.be/axF8VKNVZzM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:59:50 pm by SonicBoom737 »

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 12:04:38 pm »
Okay, so you only got the first ten off the ski slope. There's 50 up there and you can reach them all.

Moreover, you should be skipping over the boss and not under, you'll gain 14 more rings. That's gonna come at a cost of retracing Knuckles' path a little bit. Ask Flying Fox for help -- I showed her how to do just that (partial screenwrap technique).

Lastly, there are 3 rings embedded in the wall at the end. To acquire them, equip your Lightning Shield, and go over the ceiling of the level, spin-dash-flying and landing onto loops in between. Jump down near the end of the stage, before the small gap where 48 rings and a special stage are -- consult the map.

By the way, fantastic job. You're doing what many TSCers should have strived to do long ago. Best of luck to you on earning the championship.

Oh, and hey, if you want to ask about any of my ring stats and there's not a .giz recording somewhere, let me know. I'll explain them to the best of my ability.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:09:45 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline SB737

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
thanks

the only reason I don't think many more rings will be possible for tails is the fact that the time limt is an issue, if i had more time then I could get more rings, but yeah thanks for the help, I've no doubt that I'll end up needing your help at some point, looking at how complicated some fo these other strats are.

one question I have is, how do you get the ring in the wall in MG2, I've only successfully got it once, through luck, and that was with savestates, any tips to obtaining it?

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:37 pm »
Yeah, it's different per character. Knuckles can approach from the left, glide into an invisible wall, and climb down.

Tails flies backwards into it. Be ready to press right on the D-pad as soon as you land.

Sonic normally needs a flame shield to reach this area, but it is possible to reach it using a lightning shield, making for an easier process (two chances per jump).

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:33:15 am »
I'm having trouble capturing the footage, but it turns out that in S3, going over the boss instead of under has the same consequences as going over the boss in S3K. I surmise that the root of the problem arises from beginning the Act 2 area with the darkened background from the above-ground ending to Act 1 -- the shenanigans begin only once you transition underground from there.

Therefore, I submit to the current rules team that the rule for IC1 should be written as it originally was: "In Icecap 1, you may not pass over Sonic's boss, but you may pass under it."

This should not currently affect anyone's stats. Neither SonicBoom737 nor I performed this action for our current stats.

Offline SB737

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:25 pm »
i agree with sdm here. however the rule will have to mention something about you only being allowed to enter act 2 through knux's corridor, because you can still go through sonic's corridor and go under the boss with the slope glitch, whoch gives the respawning problem, as sdm said, i think it has something to do with the pallette

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
Oh yeah. I think what you just said was the reason why this level's chart was originally nuked.

I don't think we need to go that far, but if the charts are to avoid another nuke like that, we need to carefully phrase the rule so that we aren't loading the darkened background. And even then things can get hairy with the wording -- one could wallzip their way into act 2 or spiral in from act 1, both of which loading the initial background without it being visible to the player.

That or just ban skipping the boss outright. (If you do this we have a handful of stats to delete)

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:59 am »
Any official ruling yet? I'd like to know what direction to go with this RA.

Offline SB737

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
my personal opinion on the matter would be that the rule should be something along the lines of this:
You may skip the act 1 boss however only by going through knuckles' corridor. You may not zip or go through any walls or go over the boss.
Either something like that or we say you can only skip the boss if you do so without loading the outside pallette

also sdm is it likely that you'll come back to competition for sonic 3?

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 08:37:56 pm »
Soon as someone says something about this damn level. Things are tortoise-paced as ever without me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:47:42 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 01:16:48 pm »
I reckon for now the two of us can just agree to not trigger that mess until someone says something. I would strongly suggest that someone makes a move on this ruling before more people are involved, though.

Offline SB737

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 02:55:44 pm »
How did you get sonic to start with the slope glitch for the start of launch base 2 SDM? I trigger the slope glitch in the second elevator, however I can't get to the boss without losing the slope glitch.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 02:16:39 am »
My memory's fuzzy on this one. There might be something to that effect that I've recorded in the random .giz thread. I don't think I took the second elevator like Tails does (Think he needed to fly to make that work.). I think I used the first, and came out the side near spikes and a flamethrower. You have to be precise exiting in this manner, because something does one-hit-kill you there.

Anyway, I simply work my way up from there as opposed to using the second elevator. I'd have to retrace my steps to be sure, though.

At any rate, this has gone way off topic. Can I have a ruling on IC1, please?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:54 am »
^ I told SonicBoom737 that I would simply stick with the ruling that is there since it is literally just you two competing on that level. If circumstances change, then we'll adjust, and it would have to be somebody else equally knowledgeable on the issues to even compete.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Print

Hits: 1,656 | Hits This Month: 7 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.12 MB | Time: 0.10s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.