don't click here

The warfish.net (Risk by web) thread.

Print

Author Topic: The warfish.net (Risk by web) thread.  (Read 23832 times)

Offline Upthorn

The warfish.net (Risk by web) thread.
« on: December 26, 2007, 07:11:32 pm »
Okay, so I know we've got a bunch of strategy gamers on here. And most of you have got to have heard of, if not played, Risk. Warfish.net is a lot like Risk, only you don't have to sit down at a table and roll dice for hours in order to play it. Also there is a variety of custom game boards from subscribing members that are available to use.
To start, go to http://warfish.net/networks/TSC_Upthorn, and give it your email. It will send me an email telling me you're trying to join up, and need to be invited to a game. After your first game, you can set up new games, invite new people, set up your own recruitment page, etc..
First games with me are probably going to be on either the default map or the World War 2 map. After we've got more people signed up, I'll try to get a game going on a huge map like Texas.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with risk, the wikipedia article has a good rundown of the rules and basic strategies.

EDIT: Important notice!
If you sign up using this link here, after you've been invited to your first game you will have to select "allow others to invite me using only my profile id" in the account subsection of the settings tab, in order for other players to be able to invite you to other games that they may start up in the future.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:42:42 am by Upthorn »
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline General Throatstomper

• I can't think of anything witty :(
  • TSC: blueblaze
  • win8 chrome
    • View Profile
Re: The warfish.net (Risk by web) thread.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:28:37 pm »
I've never played Risk before so don't know the rules, however I do enjoy strategy games so I'll just look for them online. I just sent a request to join.

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:45:02 pm »
Well, the wikipedia article on risk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_%28game%29) has a good rundown of the game rules, and some basic strategies for it. One thing to note, though, is that on warfish I'll generally be using randomized starting territories for my games.
Go not to the linguaphiles for help, for they will say both "Yes" and "No" and "That reminds me of an interesting story about long vowels in Upper Sorbian which I must tell you right now..."

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:45:33 pm »
Ive never played Risk either but I might sign up after my doctor who spree ends again
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Waxwings

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:43:24 pm »
I say WW2, as it's basically the same as the original map except for one or two things.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:39:51 pm »
what's with you all who never played Risk. I thought it was an unfortunate staple of each of our lives.

I signed up, but I'm wondering how we actually play.

Also what, is the original board copyrighted or something so we have these alterations? interesting XD

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:36:02 am »
Right, you play by getting invited to a game.
It looks like someone who none of us know actually got to you first, so in order for me to invite you to a game, I'll need you to login and go to settings->account, and check "Allow others to invite you to games using just your profile id". Then click save.
... or PM me with the email address you used to sign up.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 02:42:13 am »
I got confused so I sent you my email, but I ended up changing my settings as well

Ok, this is interesting. So do we really do moves by email? But I guess that's fine. I also see you can play in more than one game at a time. That' makes up for it.

Anyway I think I didn't join that guy's game, but the game is apparently waiting on me to do so.

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:50:04 pm »
Err, it's not play by email. It's play by web. The only email bit is notifying you when you're invited to a game, or it's your turn in a game you're already playing.
When it is your turn, you go to warfish.net, click play, and click the game it's your turn in. Then you conduct your turn by clicking on the map, and selecting numbers from a drop-down menu. First phase is deployment (click one of your countries, select how many troops to deploy, repeat until no troops are left in reserve, click done). Second phase is attack (click one of your countries, click an adjacent country that isn't yours, select how many to attack with, repeat as strategy and luck necessitate, click done). You get one free troop transfer during the attack phase, so when you take a country you can add troops from the country you attacked from. Then there's the transfer phase, where you can conduct a limited number of troop transfers (click a country you own, click a country you own next to it, select how many armies to transfer).
To trade in cards for troops, click on the "cards" tab, put check marks under the cards you wish to trade in, and then click trade.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 09:21:13 pm »
ok nevermind now I get -everything-

mike's turn

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 04:46:20 pm »
Well Upth's refusing to play any games with me because I violated a pact I made with him in another game (anyone interested can watch the video here.

The deal was that we would gang up on Achlys because he was a threat. I would attack Achlys in North America if Upth wouldn't attack me in Australia. This being my first game, and because of my complaints that I was in a bad position (out of sheer ignorance for the workings of the game, that I said this to manipulate him I do not contend), Upth agreed. Meanwhile I contacted Achlys to tell him I would attack Upth, but also get through to him in order to gain Upth's trust. I took a longer path to Achlys that netted me some of Upth's territory, even though he told me not to do so, keeping both agreements partly intact. He didn't make a big deal out of it at the time but took offense.

Once Achlys was no longer a threat, I spread across Upth's territories to cut off his bonuses. In so doing I invoked his anger, and he said he no longer wanted to play Risk with me. He reclaimed his lands next turn. I cashed in my cards, conquered Achlys, and all but wiped Upth off the map. RPG took him out to gain Upth's cards and was about to launch his own attack when the game ended because it was accidently set as a team game. Because I did not attack RPG at all this game, Upth is alleging I opted to end the game in a draw so I could claim victory on my part was imminent. I deny this as well.

In the drama that ensued he demanded an apology, and I offered one that made it look as though he was overly demanding; this in itself probably would have ended the dispute had I not followed it up with the line "Would you like a pound of flesh as well?". Upth left #awbw (by the way we're using this as a launching point for Risk games) because I was being facetious. I attempted to ammend the situation in the main room by producing several other apologies, this time admitting I was wrong ("I realize I was a dick, I promise not to do it again in future games and I will honor the terms of all agreements, implied and explicitly stated"), but Upth did not accept it on the grounds that he thought I was being insincere. He blocked me; sporadically he would explain that I was "a weasel", "an asshole", a whiner, etc. etc. etc, and that he would not play Risk with me again (this time in public, which carries more severity). He went to bed.

I don't know what this means for the current TSC WW2 game; whether Upth will refuse to play future games with me or will end all present games I am involved in.

I would like to apologize; yes I was wrong, I did exploit a technicality in our agreement and knew full well I was playing dishonorably. I will not do this in any other game, and will abide by my stated allegiances. In defending myself I recognize I was defending a singular mindset, and I was overly stubborn in defense of my fractured idea of sportsmanship to a point.

Even if you, Upth, do not believe I am speaking true then consider that to betray this statement of peacemaking would be infinitely more detrimental to my person than to have never made it in the first place and remained where I presently stand. Now that I have even gone public in my misdeeds my reputability is harmed so I have lost something allready. As such there is no reason to stonewall me. If there are any other conditions pursuint to pacifying you I will meet them with vim and vigor.

What is your response?

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline eggFL

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »
Hurry, before the fad dies, Upthorn, create like 10 more WW2 games already and invite everyone. Or another idea I had is that each game would be missing one person from the group so if someone dies on us for too long, the rest of the games would still move on. We can still make "real-time" games whenever using people from IRC on the side. Why not, I mean you can apparently play in as many games as you want. But ugh, now THIS happens. The end of diplomacy. X( (since this game is apparently that good) If not, then I want to make games on the perfectly functional default board. Everyone trade emails with me. >:O you too genus.

As it is, we're not maximizing our potential for gaming. That can't stand.

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:19:10 am »
Speaking of maximizing our potential for gaming, egg, it's your turn in two games right now.

Also, genus and I resolved stuff in IRC, we were both overreacting to some stuff, genus being overly defensive, and I being overly hasty -- judging based on one game, when he wasn't doing anything like that in the other 2 he's in.

Offline eggFL

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 07:07:21 am »
Speaking of maximizing our potential for gaming, egg, it's your turn in two games right now.

lol, ok. I took my turns, and they were good turns if I do say so myself.

btw tell me Upthorn, so you really have to buy the additional maps? With REAL money? So the only way to make games with those maps is to pay for them?

For real?

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:07:55 am »
REVIVAL

Risk is an awesome game, and people seem to be losing interest, probably because the games resolve themselves very quickly. You almost always know a few turns in who the real threats are going to be, and even with alliances they tend to be so strong little can be done.

Say, did I just hear someone suggest...a team-based game on TSC with fucking tons of players on the Texas map? Because that sounds like a pro idea to me.

Potential players as of now are: Rolken (time issues?), Stefan, Mike (douchebag issues? I'm kidding mike, I'm sorry :(), RPG, Sondow (burnout?), Achlys (burnout?), Upth, Yoshi (time issues?), Psymar, genus (awesome issues?), Graph (pending response), Sky (inexperience issues?), Egg, Staf, flyby (filler issues?), Tails (pending response).

= 16 players.

I think this is doable; anyone interested should post here, or get someone to post on their behalf.

FOR ORANGE STARRRRRR

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline eggFL

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30:51 am »
I'm still playing. As absurd as the Texas map seems (and the idea of a 8 vs 8 game on it) you can count me in.

• win8 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:32 am »
Actually, it'd probably be 4 teams of 4.

Would it be better in a team game to pick land draws instead of everything being randomized? I see some teams getting screwed off the bat because their lands are too close to each other.

Players who have agreed to join
genus
egg
Magnum
Achlys (gone for an unspecified period of time. 1 week? 2 week? years? hm.)
Stefan

Players who have NOT agreed to join because they're LAME
Sondow (Burnout called)
Mike (I think? Seemed noncommital but reluctant for me to write him in)
Spinballwizard likes to fly solo :(

More to come.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:33:54 pm by General Throatstomper »

I HOPE YOU DO

Offline eggFL

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 05:49:22 pm »
oh ok. I think am getting the right idea now

Offline Upthorn

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 08:33:10 pm »
Right, I'm in, I'd actually like to create the game, though, because I think I'm the only one here who has a good handle on customizing the rules on warfish.

Offline Telnaior

Re: The Conquer Club (Risk by web) thread.
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 09:00:09 pm »
lol I've found a very similar website, called Conquer Club It's about as good as this one, with over 70 options for maps :D and other random stuff like a ranking system (duh), different gameplay options (e.g. Fog of War, Terminator or Assassin styles, ...). So lol at both because they both wound their way to TSC :P

Print

Hits: 1,178 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.11 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.