don't click here

Death Chamber ring and key maps

Print

Author Topic: Death Chamber ring and key maps  (Read 3744 times)

Offline SadisticMystic

Death Chamber ring and key maps
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:28:55 am »
After Security Hall, I decided to do this level next, because it's mostly flat and because there's a graphic that shows most of the map right in the level.  divx2k60 from CulT ripped the graphic, complete with its background static (yes, the actual game graphic has static, though you need to focus the camera very close on it to see).  After cleaning it up (which made the fuzzy edges more apparent--it's the best I could do), I went forward with filling in the rings.

Attached is my first complete copy of the map.  Are there any major problems with it?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:09:56 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline CosmicFalcon

Re: Preliminary Death Chamber ring map
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:20:56 pm »
I'm not sure the different coloured rings are necessary. They might as well all be yellow, surely? Given that in SH they were coloured as you didn't have a different map of each floor, the colour was a measure of altitude basically...
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline SadisticMystic

Re: Preliminary Death Chamber ring map
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:55:43 am »
Since this topic was made, I cleaned up the initial map, but I was still left with something where I couldn't look at it without seeing all sorts of inconsistencies.

So I set out to do something about it.  From an initial baseline of "One wooden/metal box = 8x8 pixels," I was able to put measurements on every room in the level, and redrew them all just as they needed to be.  The rings have also been made a bit smaller so that they're more discernible in crowded formations.

Current version of the map is here, and also linked on the SA2 maps page.

[EDIT] for some reason FTP is broken for me, so for now the map is attached.  Look at how far it's come.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:11:06 pm by SadisticMystic »

Offline SadisticMystic

Re: Death Chamber ring and key maps
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 06:18:49 pm »
As if plotting all the rings isn't enough, at least you can always find out where each of those are on every run.  To cement my absolute knowledge of the level, I tracked down all 108 random key locations, recorded their hints, and...to top it all off, plotted them all on the map template.  Note that it's a separate map from the rings, as there would be too much crowding if both sets of objects were plotted on the same map.  The image references a text file that's currently on the server in an incomplete state, and again I can't get into FTP at the moment to fix it, so the list of locations is attached too.

Print

Hits: 123 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 994.74 KB | Time: 0.05s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.