don't click here

TSC's Back Up!

Print

Author Topic: TSC's Back Up!  (Read 7205 times)

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
TSC's Back Up!
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:24:15 pm »
I'm temporarily hosting TSC for a while until Rolken can find a new host (or host TSC himself). While attempting to run TSC on my server, I found that TSC's database structure was way too inefficient for my server to handle it, so Rolken and I spent the past few days optimizing the database.

Old Database Size: 1.6 GB
New Database Size: 660 MB
Saved: 1 GB :-)

Not only has the database size decreased substantially (without deleting old data), many of the queries have been optimized. The statistics processor has been improved to process stats much faster. (Before, it took around 125 seconds to process 200 stats. Now it takes around 10 seconds.) [Note that these stats include points and overall updates.]

That's it for the major changes. Stats updating is currently set to once every 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes as before, but I may change this if it doesn't seem to impact the server that much.

Also, if anyone encounters any weird bugs on the site, post them here or in the IRC channel. We're still fixing some conversions from SELECT * to SELECT `columns`, which improves performance but causes issues when the required columns aren't specified.

Status of various subsections:
- On-site videos: Up (partially)
- Off-site videos: Up
- Chat Statistics: Up
- CGI:IRC: Up

UPDATE: Apparently, Apache was causing massive CPU load. I switched to lighttpd, which uses less resources. Lighttpd is now configured for TSC and all directories are updated. :-)

UPDATE 2: There seems to be an intermittent problem where some submitted statistics generate an invalid queue entry. The invalid queue entry blocks statistics processing until it is removed. That statistic is then "lost" and needs to be resubmitted. We're working on figuring out the cause of the problem.

UPDATE 3: In case you're wondering what the downtime was from 12 PM to 2 PM EDT (2007/04/06), I accidentally unplugged the network cable. <_< (The cable in use is missing the pin, so it's easy to knock out. I need to replace it sometime.)

UPDATE 4: Enabled lighttpd's mod_compress module for compressing static pages (currently only HTML and plain text) for faster loading and less bandwidth usage.

UPDATE 5: The server doesn't have email capability, so anyone who registered today was unable to activate. I've turned activation off for now and activated everyone who registered.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:14:08 am by GerbilSoft »

Offline antiwwe

Re: TSC's Back Up!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:34:40 am »
hooray to TSC!
one day i will be one of the best
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pl1cyZSh4JM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pl1cyZSh4JM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Offline P.P.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:38:02 am »
*parties*
I hope TSC'll find a server soon.
THESE IMAGES CONFISCATED FOR EVIDENCE

My YouTube profile. Lots of Sonic speedruns~

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:41:43 am »
Status of various subsections:
- On-site videos: Up, but not all
- Off-site videos: Up
- Chat Statistics: Down
- CGI:IRC: Up

fix'd

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 03:13:17 pm »
Good job dood. Making stuff more efficient in the memory department will make things a lot easier on us in the future, especially when TSC4 eventually shows up.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 03:22:33 pm »
1GB of optimization is an impressive feat, especially without deleting anything.  Glad to see TSC up and running once more.
Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Conker T. Squirrel

• The Ultimate Power!!
  • TSC: shadowblast63
  • winxp msie6
  • Oh, charming...Bleh. It's me! Shadowblast63! Yey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 05:59:47 pm »
yey!
I am the Ultimate Power in the name of destruction and chaos!

Offline GerbilSoft

• Architect of the Matrix
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • RickRotate'd.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:07:39 pm »
Bah, Yahoo and Google were hammering the site earlier. I banned the user-agents. Unfortunately, this means stats won't be available on Google Cache for now. :-(

EDIT: ...and Become.com. Three web crawlers hammering the site at once = bad. <_< All three are b&.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 12:19:21 pm by GerbilSoft »

Print

Hits: 711 | Hits This Month: 5 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.05 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.