don't click here

Lava Reef 2 question

Print

Author Topic: Lava Reef 2 question  (Read 3177 times)

Offline nitsuja

Lava Reef 2 question
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:31:15 pm »
Is it allowed to exit via Knuckles' route in Lava Reef 2 when playing as Sonic or Tails, or are such times invalid? I ask because that exit gives no act completion screen, and I remember there being some rule about that screen needing to be visible if the level normally displays it.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
Re: Lava Reef 2 question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 07:34:49 pm »
It's fair game. That rule probably needs rewording.

<3 Thorn.

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 08:34:28 pm »
This one's an oddity because Lava Reef 2 never actually displays a completion screen; only act 3 does.  The level has 2 exits, with each character only supposed to have access to one of these: one goes straight to act 4 (Hidden Palace) and is treated as a new level, and one dumps you into act 3 but is treated as a continuation of act 2.  Because you're completing a level that doesn't show completion (and which is clearly completable normally, though you usually have to use Knuckles to do that), I don't think that rule applies and you can claim a boss skip as valid.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:20:26 pm »
I'm curious as to how that happens. (Though I haven't seen Sprint's TAS so if it's something in there I wouldn't know.) I tried doing it as Tails earlier, but got trapped by walls that only Knuckles can break. Is zipping (or whatever you want to call it) involved somewhere? </curious, not calling bs>
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline nitsuja

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:39:44 am »
If you watch the newer S3&K TAS (this, although I plan to obsolete it soon) you'll see it. It can be done in real-time with Sonic. Tails isn't the right size to zip there, so skipping the boss with Tails is probably only possible in a TAS (because it would require going through both of the unbreakable walls using only spindashes).

EDIT: By the way, even though there are two extremely difficult moves in a row, you don't have to actually succeed at them in a row to skip the boss. Both of them can be retried ad infinitum until you get through, and you'd have to fail 10 or 20 times in a row to be slower than waiting through the boss fight. It's actually pretty easy compared to a lot of the tricks you guys do, I'm surprised nobody has beaten my time yet...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:09:23 pm by nitsuja »

Print

Hits: 68 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1016.41 KB | Time: 0.12s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.