don't click here

Favourite 3D Sonic!

Poll

Which is the best 3D Sonic game? (excluding racing games and the such)

Sonic Adventure (or SA:DX)
13 (22.8%)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Or SA2B)
27 (47.4%)
Sonic Heroes
6 (10.5%)
Shadow the Hedgehog
11 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Print

Author Topic: Favourite 3D Sonic!  (Read 52767 times)

Favourite 3D Sonic!
« on: September 23, 2006, 12:47:22 pm »
Which is your favourite 3D Sonic game? I'm voting for Sonic Adventure 2 by far!

Offline Groudon

• 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Groudon199
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Favourite 3D Sonic!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 12:53:48 pm »
I'm gonna have to go for Shadow.  I was debating between SA2:B and Shadow, but I went for Shadow, and here's why.

The camera in SA2:B is pretty bad.  Most times, you can't rotate the camera unless you're standing still.  While the spin dash is a hell of a lot better than in Shadow, the bad camera in SA2:B is the reason I like Shadow better.

And I think this would be better in the General Sonic catagory.  If a mod could move it there, that would be okay.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:36:19 pm »
Sonic 3D Blast.
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 06:24:32 pm »
I'm the champion of Shadow for two reasons. Can you guess what they are?

Anyway, to rank them from best to worst:

1. Shadow
2. SADX
3. SA2B
4. Sonic Heroes
5. 3D Blast (if it counts)

Yes, I've been the only person on planet who thought that both Shadow and SADX were better than SA2B, and I've been living with it. It's not easy, trust me. :(
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:28:39 pm »
Earlier today, I decided to play Shadow for a little while, and I went to try and beat my Circus Park (Hero) record, but when I tried Light Dashing the first 4 rings, I couldn't even do it 80% of the time.  It seems that ever since I started playing SA2:B, I've gotten worse at Shadow.  So if I could change my vote, I'd change it to SA2:B.  When the Rings division opens up, I'm gonna submit the 23 stats.  Then that's it for a while (possibly until further notice).

Offline F-Man

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:49:29 pm »
My personal best to worst order is exactly the same as the order of the choices in this poll.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 07:56:17 pm »
Sorry to all you Sonic 3D fans! I didn't think of it, but then is it really 3D? More of an angled camera view. Granted the special stages are 3D models. Can't believe Shadow has been getting such a warm reception. It's one of the only Sonic games I couldn't even be bothered to play all the way through. I let you know why; (lucky you!)

SA2B character models are so much better; Heroes and Shadow have terrible, shiny models.
SA2B you could choose between loads of characters and even more in multiplayer. Not so in Shadow.
Story in SA2B is so much better.
The Shadow missions are so repetitive, the SA2B idea of different characters with different abilities was great.
The Shadow mission select screen is poor compared to SA2B's.
The levels are no where near as exciting and great as the SA2B ones.
SA2B has oodles of secrets to unlock.
Shadow has no Japanese voices!

Granted the SA2B camera was pretty bad, as was the double-jump bug in 50Hz mode. In SA2 the ability to download themes and kart tracks was great too, shame it didn't make it to the Battle edition. Also, what the hell happened to Big the Cat?!! He was cut out of most of SA2B and wasn't even playable in 2P like in the original!!!

I've noticed that with Sega the main games in the series i.e Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, Adventure, Adventure 2 seem to be really good and the side-story games are often crap. Sonic R and Riders being exceptions.

Hmmmm, I hope that Sonic, Shadow and Silver aren't the only playable characters in Sonic Next-Gen, hopefully it'll have a massive map select, loads of missions (going for the A rank in the SA2 missions was great), at least 6 different playable characters and a good multiplayer. Fingers crossed! Otherwise I'm waiting for Sonic Adventure 3.

Offline Taillow

• Changing forum names is lame...
  • Broseidon
  • TSC: Quartz
  • win81 chrome
  • ...but it didn't stop me from doing it again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:08:08 pm »
Sonic 3D Blast is pretty much 3D as you do go up, down, left, right, and other 3D directions.  The only difference is the isometric setup.

Also, I voted Shadow due to... hm... Probably the three different ways to tackle most levels?  Eh, I dunno.  But I don't hate the 3D games.  Including Heroes (though it is cumbersome).
Hi

Offline Shadow Jacky

• -Proprietor of /d/-
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win81 firefox
  • BEHOLD!
    • View Profile
    • I streams when on windows
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 02:09:43 pm »
I have a problem with eacha nd every one of them so I hate them all.
my name has nothing to do with Shadow The Hedgehog

Completed Runs:
Sonic Heroes: Team Sonic: SS
Rocket Knight Adventures: Easy (US): SS

In the Future:
Aero The Acrobat (Genesis) | More...

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:28:10 pm »
If I could, I'd chose Riders but otherwise, I'd say SA2B, next would be :

Heroes - as surprising as it may be (even to me).
DX

(Never played Shadow)

Granted the SA2B camera was pretty bad, as was the double-jump bug in 50Hz mode. In SA2 the ability to download themes and kart tracks was great too, shame it didn't make it to the Battle edition. Also, what the hell happened to Big the Cat?!! He was cut out of most of SA2B and wasn't even playable in 2P like in the original!!!

I was upset as you were when I found out.

And, just as "quesuerte" is excited and hoping for Sa3, I have also been 'dying' for a sequel to Sonic Shuffle.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 08:35:03 pm by knuckles_sonic8 »
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 10:16:33 pm »
I'm reposting this message from a few days ago.
But first, remember the most important thing: SA is the best.

F-Man: I agree. You know why it's like that, right? It's because Sonic is going downhill. :(
(I was just talking about this at another forum earlier today.)
I haven't played Shadow the Hedgehog, though.
---------------------------------------------
I mostly agree with magnum12:
-High % of good stages, yes...
1. Nah, that'd probably be Sonic 3. I liked S2, SCD, and S&K more. S3&K is good,
but only when the two games are locked-on. S3 just isn't as good as the others for
stage design and music (in my opinion, of course), and I hate that it has no continues.
2. SA's camera is evil (as if SADX's unreliable Free Camera wasn't bad enough),
but SA2's is way worse. It snaps back when the character moves, and it's the most stubborn
camera ever when it comes to pulling through walls (a problem that is in most games to some degree).
It's almost impossible to pull it out from behind a wall without jumping 30 feet out away from the platform.
*SPLASH!* NO! *camera pulls through to show Sonic dying*
3. True, except I don't mind Knuckles's music (still not my favourite, though).
-My main complaint is that the extra characters almost always bring inferior gameplay.
Knuckles has hunting. Big has fishing. Gamma's stages are okay, but the SA2 versions aren't so great.
Amy had slowed-down Sonic stages. Teams from SH made the controls bad and added
dumb puzzles and excessive fighting (made worse by the controls).
Tails was okay, though. His gameplay wasn't quite as good as Sonic's, but
I wouldn't mind seeing him as a playable character in newer games (without his Cyclone, of course).

S3DB is really 2-D. I define a 3-D game as a game that uses three-dimensional polygons for its graphics.
S3DB is obviously pre-rendered. The gameplay acts kind of 3-D, but it's not completely 3-D.
And it doesn't use the perspective effect (the "Stretchy Polygon Effect") to make distant objects smaller,
except in the Special Stages. (Those are kind of 3-D. At least they use layers
and some kind of cool background distortion trick.)
Groudon, did you say Shadow's Spin Dash is worse than SA2's??? Uh, oh.
Why'd they have to mess with it? Just leave it like SA: one button has one function.
Rolling makes Sonic smaller (to squeeze through small spaces), and it also can break boxes.
Why make all this other junk and put it on the Action Button?
SA2 has a Zelda-inspired roll move (of course, Link is slower than Sonic). What's ShtH have? (Do I want to know?)
Graphics: SA2B is the best so far, in my opinion, although every existing Sonic game looks
Playstation 2 at best. Of course, this doesn't count Sonic 06.
I looked at the SADX model yesterday, and it surprised me.
Sonic mostly looks like in SA2B. His arms and legs are terrible, and the ugly, white shine
shows the polygons on his spikes really clearly, but his face is surprisingly smooth.
Also, his face looks... taller... or something... that must be why his head looks so flat.
Heroes wasn't bad (its shine effect was between SADX's and Sonic06's for quality...
sort of a "smooth, shiny plastic" look), but the model was a little blockier.
So,
SA2B: smooth characters, realistic, surprisingly clear textures, a little too much pop-up
SH: okay characters, nice-looking first level, N64-like last level, SA2B-quality draw distance and a bit of overlap
SADX: N64-like, with a few nice textures, a pretty nice Sonic model, nice water (and 2 effects at once)...
and terrible draw distance (object pop-up, level clipping, overlap glitches), and a glitched framerate
Sonic06 (at the top for quality): smooth characters, good textures, unknown-quality water
(in that jungle place, it has reflections like Starfox Adventures, but the beach place doesn't seem so great),
decent draw distance that may still be fairly flawed (it looks like the horizon is about to start
covering the too-empty boardwalk in that one picture taken from the lighthouse)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:58:17 pm »
Groudon, did you say Shadow's Spin Dash is worse than SA2's??? Uh, oh.
Why'd they have to mess with it? Just leave it like SA: one button has one function.
Rolling makes Sonic smaller (to squeeze through small spaces), and it also can break boxes.
Why make all this other junk and put it on the Action Button?
SA2 has a Zelda-inspired roll move (of course, Link is slower than Sonic). What's ShtH have? (Do I want to know?)

Yes, it's worse.  In SA2, you could quickly charge a spindash for a brief moment (longer than SA for the charge to start, obviously) and go faster than just running, and you could press the same button to break into a normal run with ease.  In Shadow, you have to be pretty much at a complete stop to use it, and the only way to get out of the spindash quickly is to jump out of it.  The only use it really has in the game is for some clever shortcuts (pretty much what all the top players here use) and going under small spaces from a stop.  It actually has Shadow go slower than just running.  And charging it to be of any use takes about 2 seconds, unlike 0.25 or less in SA and SA2.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 01:18:18 am »
I actually like the new spin dash in Shadow. The inability to "button mash" the spin dash for easy speed is something I'd consider a good thing since its use has been shifted (for speed run purposes) more towards strategic/skilled use.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline KnucklesSonic8

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 04:11:30 pm »
I actually like the new spin dash in Shadow. The inability to "button mash" the spin dash for easy speed is something I'd consider a good thing since its use has been shifted (for speed run purposes) more towards strategic/skilled use.

That sounds like a good thing to me! I hated that part in Hedgehog 3 for Gen. when I was playing with my friend in Versus. That's the only game he's probably better than me at but anyway, it was a nuisance so that whole strategy thing would be better for TA purposes.

Hopefully, they'll incorporate it into Next-gen (maybe in Secret Rings/Rivals but I have yet to see videos/shots showing it).
Wiiloveit

Current Competition Focus: ---
Wants S&S All-Stars Racing

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 10:42:57 am »
So... Shadow's Spin Dash is like the dash from the Genesis games?

Anyway, SA beats everything. It just takes a bit of timing, and it never stops Sonic,
except when he stumbles over a seam, but that's still not as bad as SA2.
And the Action Button isn't used for as much stuff.
(The Light Speed Dash isn't really used much, and it doesn't take a single tap of the button.
The only flaw I can think of right now is that picking up stuff (outside the Chao Garden) is
a bit difficult sometimes. Sonic can just run by the item and dash instead of picking it up.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline Groudon

• Broseidon
  • win10 firefox
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 10:45:43 am »
Pretty much.  Only charging it is different.  You have to hold the spindash button when stopped instead of tapping the buttons for max rev.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 06:46:54 pm »
sonic adventure the dreamcast version it`s awsome

Offline Sonic825

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 10:06:38 pm »
1st of all,Marth your posts are way to long. 2nd,what do you all have against Sonic Heroes? That one is my favorite.
Master of all things Sonic!!!!

Offline X-5

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 12:09:08 am »
I agree the instant light dash in SA2 sucks, it's screwed me up COUNTLESS times during a time attack, in almost every level.

Offline Crowbar

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 04:58:33 am »
Yeah but having to spend several seconds charging up for one is retarded.

Offline cake

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 01:16:11 pm »
I have only played sonic Adventure 1 and 2 sonic heroes looks like it worth getting but im not to sure.

Offline Jawzunx

• first person to beat Cybrax on City Escape (3rd mission)
  • TSC: Jawzun
  • win7 chrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 02:48:44 pm »
the same that F-Man said, that's my order:

1.- Sonic Adventure (DX)
      -Because it was the first sonic 3d game I got
      -I'm better on this game than the other ones
      -I really enjoyed the adventure mode
      -I LOVE this game

2.- Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle)
     -The beggining of the hero story :) City Escape
     -New habilities and power ups (somersault, magic gloves, grinding...)
     -Shadow's debut and...
     -...Rouge's debut

3.- Sonic Heroes
     -This game wasn't as good as I thought =/

4.- Shadow the Hedegehog
     -the same that I said in Sonic Heroes, but I prefer Heroes than Shadow...
still can't believe what I did in 2007

Offline VMU

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 12:39:56 pm »
1.sadx
2.sa2b
3.sonic heroes
4.shadow
I am like a proton, i have a positive attitude!

Offline X-5

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:04 pm »
1.sadx
2.sa2b
3.sonic heroes
4.shadow

hah, 3 people in a row with the same exact order. I haven't played shadow though but by the looks and sound of it (guns wtf?) i'd hate it more than heros.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 06:12:48 pm by Paragod »

Offline sonicandamy

• The Orginal DsS
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • ^ sonicandamy-your lovable sonic rush boss leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 07:48:30 pm »
XD i vote sonic heroes ftw, come on guys it really is the best 3d sonic game... also look up the ratting and compare sonic heroes to SA2B on ign and gamespot. ya i know we think there reviews are shit but they got this one right.
Megabyte-sized sigs can get off the internet.
-Rolken

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 07:57:08 pm »
No they dont.

Also Sonic '06 ftw.
Did you not think I had a mind?

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 08:03:45 pm »
I wish I could play Sonic '06, it sounds like a good game, but I don't have the resources to do so...
Until that day comes, here's my order of preference:
1. SADX
2. SA2B
3. Heroes
4. Shadow

Never forget who you are.
DeviantART account: (link)

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 09:44:39 pm »
also look up the ratting and compare sonic heroes to SA2B on ign and gamespot.
Umm, yeah, I don't know how good the game is after playing it, so I'll let someone else tell me.
*plays SA* Was that fun? *checks ratings* Hmm, not really. No, wait, it was, because the graphics
are really good compared to most N64 games. Yeah, SA was fun, because the graphics are good.

Also, I wouldn't trust reviewers completely even before playing a game.
Overall opinion can give you a good idea of whether a game's good, but it doesn't always.
Also, several TSC members agree with the old>new idea. Like I said, I haven't played Shadow,
but I doubt it's much better than Heroes. Even if the gameplay is a little better (which it may or
may not be), it loses for its inferior sound (meaning the voices, at least- don't know about the music).

Offline tails07

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 06:40:06 pm »
sonic heros. always been a fan of that game
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 08:22:36 am »
Sonic 3D Blast! XD.
Ok, just kidding!

1st: SADX
2nd: SA2B
3rd: Shadow
4th: Heroes

Just a thing, I've never played Sonic Heroes. If I played, probably it would be in third instead of Shadow.

Edit: Now I played Sonic Heroes, and it is far better than Shadow, but still not good as sadx and sad2b
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:42:12 pm by whitewolf_braz »

Print

Hits: 375 | Hits This Month: 2 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.36 MB | Time: 0.16s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.