Poll

Opinions!

Yea
7 (58.3%)
Nay
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Print

Author Topic: TSC Netplay Tournament?  (Read 27207 times)

Offline CosmicFalcon

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« on: April 01, 2006, 06:24:07 am »
Whizbang.

Now, I know it's SCD. And I know some people have some thoughts about where SCD can go. However, why turn down a free offer? I mean, it could be fun.

Obviously here at TSC we aren't a netplay site, but quite a few of us would be up for it, no? Them being situated on TSS would mean we might get a fair bit of turn out, be able to show TSS how much better we are than them (lawl) and maybe even filter out some of the good TAers that may or may not exist there.

Heck, it'd probably equate more peace between here and SCD. I mean I know most of us have called SCD stupid in the past, and whether they are or not, they aren't doing half bad.

I think it'd be a fun idea. Yup yup.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:59:23 am by CosmicFalcon »
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 06:31:06 am »
See but teh problem with dat is their stupid.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 06:36:16 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:34:16 am »
...SCDLOL...TSSLOL...rnt...ppl...
*tries 2 understand*
*figures out what "rnt" and "ppl"means*
*realizes dat today ain't a school day*
*gives up thinking about it*

BTW, kewl txt effects have me rofl.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 07:03:31 pm »
ZIZOU IS THE MASTER OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

BEST MANUAL SPELLCHECK EVER
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 07:03:58 pm by PsyBorg »
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 09:38:07 pm »
I rememeber going around other sonic forums after we won the Sonic Olympics.

Most forums seemed to react immaturely to our victory, which pisses me off. They used the fact that we made a big deal out of Zizou's questioning of mike's sonic 2 run make us seem like we were wrong and SCD was right and we just wouldn't quit complaining until we won (funny...it was the other way around more then anything...)

And of course they made the usual "we have no life" assumption of us...
Just because I don't have a life doesn't mean everyone else here doesn't have one. Just look at everybody at TSC that has a girlfriend! Hell, even SM got in on the action! How's that for no life?

But I dunno...I don't think some of the sonic communities think the best of us or anything... I think some of em think of us more as ignorant bastards that just care about time attacking and won't stop bitching till we get what we want.

Hopefully we can change that image

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 10:36:08 pm »
It's a good thing I don't fit that stereotype, except maybe that whole not having a life thing. I'm single. :x

That said, I've gotten a couple people from other forums to join here. I believe it was my profile link in my Sonic Planet sig that got GarnetPrincess here. Now albeit it isn't a huge amount that I'm bringing but hey I'm well respected outside of TSC (and almost everyone who sees me on a Sonic forum knows I go here).

But I can't netplay. Firewall blocks it. :(
I'd be up for it, but alas I can't.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:06:19 am »
I'll do it, Im on fairly friendly terms with SDM as it is at present X)
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline CosmicFalcon

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:38:21 am »
Depending on how well we advertise it, a tournament could help to make people stfu about us 'complaining until we won' the SO, and about us 'having no lives'.
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 12:06:13 pm »
Well at least the complaining part. X)

Also yeah since SDM only knows me from what I've done on SCD at TSS, that kinda helps matters a little bit.
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 12:49:41 pm »
...are you serious about this? I thought it was an April Fools joke.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Sonic 2 Racer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 09:24:59 pm »
Talking behind one's back will get your back stabbed in the south. :o

It's nice to actually meet y'all.

Anywho, Zizou's out for a week, and I've been yet again left in charge to tear up the place. I have permission, either way, to permit third-party-hosted tourneys if I see it fit. So, all I need from y'all in order to get started is:
  • 8 already registered paricipants
  • An agreed-upon date (SCD might be having a tourney soon, in honor of LllL837's [Server admin] father, who passed away about thre weeks ago. You might have to pick either a very soon, or very far off time.)
  • Two people to teporarily appoint as server administrators for the tourney, in addition to the SCD admins
  • A TSC rep to officially apply in the third-party-hosting topic on SCD
By the way, it would be fantastic to see some of y'all active on SCD Kaillera during the tourney. According to Anti3D's latest server records, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has become the fastest-growing in popularity on Kaillera. You guys would help boost that growth even further.

Live VS-ing is a whole different metagame to explore, too. It's not about just time, or just score, or just rings. You have to focus on all of that at once, and more, including blocking your opponent from grabbing items, or getting ahead, as well as avoiding such obstructions. Here, every player can bring an original, unpredictable strategy to the table. I know y'all could, too.

Maybe one day TSC and SCD can settle their differences, and possibly create a netplay rivalry that would give both of our sites huge ratings boosts. I look forward to hearing from y'all on the netplay tourney, if you plan to arrange it.

Thanks.

Offline CosmicFalcon

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 06:27:09 am »
In all fairness, we aren't so much talking about SCD behind your back, but talking about the idea of 'hiring' your server. With a little of talking about TSS behind their back thrown in. But I digress.

I'm not sure if we could round up 8 participants from TSC. I mean, I was intending to be the rep (considering that Rolken is more or less indifferent to the idea) and one of the temp admins, so wasn't intending to compete myself. Then again, if we advertise it around the place... I mean, our 8 already-registered participants don't all have to be TSCers.

It's still up in the air for now though, so we'll see. I don't want to be involved in a TSC netplay tournament when that's not a way that TSC wants to be represented to the net.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 07:10:55 am »
I would compete but cannot on account of my ping would be insanely high. Otherwise I'd be dishing out my usual pwnage... oh well.

By the way, SDM, it'd be interesting to see how you stack up to our top players on Sonic 2... I think you could compete pretty well. I remember watching your SO vid and discovering that your Oil Ocean 2 path was equal to or faster than mine... so it wasn't a total loss on your end. =P

And just for the record... do you still think I cheated?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:13:44 am by mike89 »

<3 Thorn.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 08:52:24 am »
No, that had something to do with the funky filesize of your video, not actually the contents of your vid.

A normal .giz video has a filesize ratio of about 1KB:4 minutes. Yours was 1:2. I tried to work backwards to figure that out, and the only way I got a matching ratio was when I ran gens+ on special settings, causing the fps to drop down to 12.5/sec. Indeed, a weird concept that got out-of-hand. I'd like to apologize on behalf of SCD for that nonsense.

In all fairness, we aren't so much talking about SCD behind your back

I'm stealing mike's avatar here: I CALL BS!

As for TA-ing with y'all, I wouldn't mind the least bit trying my hand at some S2 records. That is my best game over netplay; same might be true for TA-ing.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 02:33:25 pm »
I think we should get Sadistic Mystic as one of the tournament administrators, or at least for the role of one of the referees for the tournament. His vast knowledge of computer stuff and ability to detect cheaters would be a good asset for this competition.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Zizou

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 11:02:19 pm »
Heres how the timeline goes between TSC and SCD. Well at least, it seems so.

Past: WAR

Recent Past: PEACE

Present: WTF?

Future: WAR

If we're so 'inferior', as it's obvious you guys are huge ass holes and that you hate us. Then why are you copying our brilliant online netplay idea :P

Jealous? Ugly? Un-Original? = TSC? Probably :P

Lol, Peaces.

Offline SadisticMystic

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 11:28:35 pm »
My official stance is to not be involved in this tournament.

I speak for only myself so far.

Offline Rolken

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 12:47:52 am »
OK it's late and I dunno if Zizou is being pissed or just bantering or what, but if the former you can gtfo TSC, if the latter then lol we pwn joo or something.

CF if this actually happens I'll play, I just am apathetic to running it when I have plenty of other stuff to do and you want to rep anyway.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:48:15 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 01:10:51 am »
In summary:

PLAYERS
  • RPG
  • Rolken
ADMINS
  • CF
I'll do admin work too if it's on while I'm awake. X)

<3 Thorn.

Offline CosmicFalcon

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 06:30:19 am »
Mike: lol @ ur timezone n00b

Any-dang-ways, we have potentially as many admins as players. The conclusion? We need more players!

/me smrt

Offline SprintGod

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 07:59:34 am »
Reasons why this idea sucks.

1. Games should always be played on whichever server is closest to the players, and never limited to just one. The SCD server* is only particularly useful for games that transcend the Atlantic, which brings me on to...

2. International games are and will continue to be crap until someone writes a predictive emulator, or until I learn C++. Conclusion: Single-player based competition. Now there's an idea... I wonder why no-ones ever thought of that before... Ohwait.

5. ...err 3. TSS can't play, as is written in The Sonic Center Constitution Of Infallibilityâ„¢.

* It's really the Anti3D server under a different name, using different ports to split the players.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 03:51:18 am by SprintGod »
If you don't want people to treat you like you're stupid, then your best defence is to not be stupid.

Offline CosmicFalcon

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 09:08:31 am »
Reasons why this idea sucks.

1. Games should always be played on whichever server is closest to the players, and never limited to just one. The SCD server* is only particularly useful for games that transcend the Atlantic, which brings me on to...

2. International games are and will continue to be crap until someone writes a predictive emulator, or until I learn C++. Conclusion: Single-player based competition. Now there's an idea... I wonder why no-ones ever thought of that before... Ohwait.

5. ...err 3. TSS can't play, as is written in The Sonic Center Constitution Of Infallibility™.

[size=8]* It's really the Anti3D server under a different name, using different ports to split the players.[/size]
[snapback]11491[/snapback]

I call gg.

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 08:05:06 pm »
Zizou went kaboom before I had a chance to stop him, Rolken. Excuse him.

* It's really the Anti3D server under a different name, using different ports to split the players.

It's actually two servers on two different machines, from the same place, which actually belongs to www.1and1.com.

Note to self: I need to stop italicizing every second word after a punctuation.

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 09:01:08 pm »
Ha, I think this is just an excuse to get admin priveleges to spy on the enemy. *shot*

Offline SpinDashMaster

• Dime Turner
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 09:33:11 pm »
If I wanted that, I would have put a hell of a lot more on the table.

EDIT: hey SBW, you said firewall was blocking you? Make Gens an exception in your firewall settings. Either that, or turn the firewall off whilst playing, and turn it back on when done.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:41:30 pm by SpinDashMaster »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 10:43:10 pm »
...Can't do that when I don't control the firewall.

Much as I'd like to do it for the sheer enjoyment of it. Sadly, I can't get any farther than the server list. If I recall, last time I tried from home, I clicked on SCD's server (using all of the methods you gave me in the TSS/SCD Kaillera Help Topic), and it wouldn't load from there. (Infinite "Connecting..." message.)

Also I believe I must give my "stance" (lol) in the TSC/SCD "war." (My idea of the concept, to quote mike, "I call BS.")

TSC was the first Sonic site I joined. This may give me a little bias, though I try not to put it in.

Now I know that at times, we at TSC (myself included) can be assholes at times. But that doesn't mean we should be stereotyped that way. Everyone acts like an ass at times. We just seem a little more public about it.

I think the worst of that came out in the Sonic Olympics. Now since I never participated myself, I can't really say anything other than what I've heard from my fellow TSCers concerning rules changes and whatnot. Initially, I sided with TSC. Especially when you accused mike of cheating, I got a bit of a bad impression. I know he doesn't cheat; even though I know of instances where he uses slow motion in some cases, it's only to determine whether or not something may or may not be possible at full speed. (I know this because it's what he did to get 8 on Hidden Palace Knuckles.) He wouldn't cheat from what I know.

Nonetheless, I liked the concept SCD used in their site. At the time I hadn't tried netplay (since when it came to signing up for SO events, my schedule prevented me from being present for any of them, and I wasn't about to be considered for any of the recorded ones). It wasn't until SCD moved onto TSS that I decided to try netplay myself, only to find the apparent failure, through the Kaillera server list, the Anti3D server list, and entering the direct IP. (I can netplay at school on my laptop, but nobody's on when I'm at school and free. I've only had one actual netplay session doing this; some guy who I don't think is on SCD anyways. Ended up playing Mean Bean Machine, and owned him. Just because I'm good at it. X) -- I still say it should be on TSC.)

So I guess my final say is, to quote the old saying, "Can't we all just... get along?" I mean, seriously. We have different goals in mind. TSC covers all games and just goes for overall records, while SCD covers only the classic (Genesis) games, but specializing in online play. The main thing in common is that we compete. Sure, this'll bring about its rivalries, but what's wrong with a little friendly competition? I mean, that's what we're here for. :D

Much as I hate mediating, something tells me I'm going to end up being a mediator here. :/

EDIT: Isn't SCD getting a European server sometime soon?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 10:45:43 pm by Spinballwizard »

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 11:05:02 pm »
3. TSS can't play, as is written in The Sonic Center Constitution Of Infallibilityâ„¢.
[snapback]11491[/snapback]

I move that this become an actual document. All in favour say "42."

also SBW, mediating is usually my role, but you can take it this once if you want. :)

<3 Thorn.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 08:10:52 am »
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Cybrax

TSC Netplay Tournament?
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 09:45:15 pm »
I say, i hate you all.

Print

Hits: 170 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.