don't click here

TSC update possibilities, priorities

Print

Author Topic: TSC update possibilities, priorities  (Read 24598 times)

Offline Rolken

« on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:26 am »
These are the things I've dreamed up or been working on over the past few months as ways to improve TSC. Say what you think is cool.

- Awards: little trophy icons for various random accomplishments
- Integrated text system: bios, guides, articles, comments, etc unified in a single editor that allows formatting, image placement, collaborative editing and updating
- Competition leagues: groups of people who want to compete together, with their own rankings
- Sandopolis skin: Sandopolis 2 based, with ablaze, dim and shroud styles
- An arbitrary skin of the "black text on light (maybe pale blue) background" variety
- CSS functionality (F-Man's working on this): makes it a lot easier for others to make skins
- RSS functionality (SM here): lets you get TSC updates from an RSS reader, or something like Google Desktop
- E-mail functionality (CF'll do it if he really wants mods): get e-mails of site updates, record beatings, championship turnovers, whatever
- Extra video information: each video gets a page with info on the codec, length, size, maybe a screenshot, some kind words, etc
- Personal portal: more detailed updates and information on only the stuff you care about
- Better, more forum skins: self explanatory, they kinda suck now D:
- Better site-forum integration: PMs from site, TSC info in forum info, and such things

Hm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Suggestions will be taken as well. I didn't add anything outside our core competition competency (eg. general game information, one of those ugly "Sonic News" tickers, iono), but the possibility of any of that randomness is there if people want it. Plus if there're minor tweaks only a few people would enjoy - like the news ticker (few more like none lol!!1) - there's the possibility of it being put in User Options where most people can safely ignore it, so go ahead and point it out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:11:12 am by Rolken »
StH JJ1 WkS+ Sal++^i Rbk++i Knu- McS+++ P++ D[af]opw $++++ E03 A24 GM CoUT
What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:43:28 am »
These are the things I've dreamed up or been working on over the past few months as ways to improve TSC. Say what you think is cool.

TSC points! TSC POOOOIIINTS!! *ahem* Yse, this is more of relating your idea to Xbox 360's achievements dealy. It's a cool idea. Adds a little something to playing, in the site's case it adds a little something to competing.

- Integrated text system: bios, guides, articles, comments, etc unified in a single editor that allows formatting, image placement, collaborative editing and updating

TSC Wiki? Perhaps. Or maybe you could have a comments system on the guides and articles (as in those that are not forum based (as in not news articles)) for people to suggest changes, rather than allowing members to alter guides. Wiki is probably a bad idea. And a complex idea, I dunno.

- CSS functionality (F-Man's working on this): makes it a lot easier for others to make skins

Good. I want to make skins. But my web sk33lz r not teh l33t. Yet.

- RSS functionality (SM here): lets you get TSC updates from an RSS reader, or something like Google Desktop

I see this RSS feed thing all over the place. Like on webcomics. I click it and firefox is just like "this code is not a document what" or something. Also what is Google desktop. Also this is all offtopic be quiet CF.

- E-mail functionality (CF'll do it if he really wants mods): get e-mails of site updates, record beatings, championship turnovers, whatever
[snapback]9627[/snapback]

Are you saying CF will write email updates to be sent out? Like a TSC newsletter. If I want mods eh. I can be a journalistman. :D

But yeah I am on board for all those ideas. also newstickor kplz. jklawl.

Ok here is a suggestion: bring back Sonic radio. *shot*

I could always see if they'll let me DJ on SSR... *shot twice*

Kthx.

"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:04:30 am »
TSC Wiki? Perhaps. Or maybe you could have a comments system on the guides and articles (as in those that are not forum based (as in not news articles)) for people to suggest changes, rather than allowing members to alter guides. Wiki is probably a bad idea. And a complex idea, I dunno.
I don't think a wiki would be suitable. Rather, it'd work similar to videos now; privileged people can edit automatically, members can edit but it won't show up until confirmed. And the initial author of anything will be able to specify whether people can or cannot edit.

I see this RSS feed thing all over the place. Like on webcomics. I click it and firefox is just like "this code is not a document what" or something. Also what is Google desktop. Also this is all offtopic be quiet CF.
Try going to an RSS-enabled page and dragging the little orange icon in the URL bar to your bookmarks. Also google google desktop you lark.

Are you saying CF will write email updates to be sent out? Like a TSC newsletter. If I want mods eh. I can be a journalistman. :D
I wasn't actually serious, but a TSC newsletter is an interesting idea ZOMG.

Ok here is a suggestion: bring back Sonic radio. *shot*
If only I had the bandwidth...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:04:59 am by Rolken »

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:10:43 am »
I wasn't actually serious, but a TSC newsletter is an interesting idea ZOMG.
[snapback]9633[/snapback]

Interesting indeed, however, how often does something new happen around here? On account of your zen cycle dealies, new stuff comes in waves. So for about half the year, a TSC newsletter would be like "yup... we're still cool."
"A graph of cf's coolness as age increases would be exponential." - Stefan [14:26, 2008/08/23]
"I now realise that CF is complete and utter win." - Cruizer [13:46, 2009/10/23]

Offline Rolken

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:13:24 am »
There's a lot of competition stuff that goes on that those who don't visit the rankings/chat regularly don't really keep on top of. I didn't really mean site updates; those could be copy/pasted from TSC's front page.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 10:13:39 am by Rolken »

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:03:53 am »
If there were a regular newsletter, it could make more of a 'random player' feature (more than the main page currently does). Like take some random guy and talk about them. Y'know, for fun.

It could also have things like, which level is hottest to TA this week, top-10 record breakers, how cool CF is, maybe some news related to SEGA/Sonic that is shamelessly ripped from other sources. The sky's the limit!

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:36:40 am »
I don't really understand the purpose of Competion Leagues.
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:54:25 am »
I don't really understand the purpose of Competion Leagues.
[snapback]9637[/snapback]

^A prime use for that would have been back when myself, mike and eredani were all gunning for control of Sonic Chaos.

*flips his two cents ino the jar*
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline F-Man

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 12:01:38 pm »
Rolken, I will need to know in which files rankings tables as well as everything else that have graphics are stored.

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 12:46:06 pm »
Quote from: Rolken,Feb 13 2006, 09:06 AM
Well obviously we have the probably biannual TSC Top 10, but we could have more.
SBW likes what he sees here. Images! Screenshots of our 1337 pwnage. I'd be careful about collaborative editing though, in case someone wants to be a twat about it.
- Competition leagues: groups of people who want to compete together, with their own rankings
Instant win. Could attract more people too. I'd assume you could be in multiple leagues and stuff? Actually I almost wanted to suggest this some time. >_>
- Sandopolis skin: Sandopolis 2 based, with ablaze, dim and shroud styles
I already said that the shroud one you previewed was delicious. >_>
- An arbitrary skin of the "black text on light (maybe pale blue) background" variety
This would probably be for the people with like, dialup or stuff or crappy browsers tha can't take image overload?
Well, I have some knowledge in CSS, but meh. But it'll probably be cool anyways.
RSS feeds are all the rage these days. That's all I can realy say.
I'm not as big on this, maybe it could be an optional feature. Because I don't check my nonuniversity email all that often. >_>
- Extra video information: each video gets a page with info on the codec, length, size, maybe a screenshot, some kind words, etc
Score. Video commentary ftw.
- Personal portal: more detailed updates and information on only the stuff you care about
:o
Kinda ties in with the Sandopolis from above, doesn't it?
- Better site-forum integration: PMs from site, TSC info in forum info, and such things
Score. And I know there are hacks and things for IPB that allow for other fields in the db and stuff, so it'd just be a matter of finding them and implementing them.

Other stuff is meh. News ticker doesn't always have stuff on the games anyways, and besides. It's on TSS. >_>

I can't really think of my own addons at the moment, but I'll chime in at random times if I think of something.

Also Rolk you need to have some more productive zen periods like this one. :o

EDIT: wtf what happened to the BBCode :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 12:50:45 pm by Spinballwizard »
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

<Achlys> wat ave you done!
<Spinballwizard> apparently killed your h key

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 07:24:37 pm »
What I think will be cool:

Extra video information: each video gets a page with info on the codec, length, size, maybe a screenshot, some kind words, etc
soniham is Taco's greatest typo.:o

CF is very... CFy.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:43:29 pm »
YES!

Offline Mandyrobin

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 01:05:37 pm »
It looks like there's lots of cool stuff on the way. I really like the integrated text system and CSS functionality.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 12:54:40 pm »
So what will I have to do to make skins... just switch a few bitmaps?
If it's that simple, I definitely have to give this a try.
(But I don't know if the try will be successful.)

-awards: That sounds cool. Actually, it's necessary. (unless you're going to
take down that blank "Awards" thing from each profile)

-integrated text system: It'll be nice to be able to update stuff.
I guess the '/"apos" thing will be fixed with that.

-Skins don't matter much, as long as there will be an easy way to make them.
(They'd still be nice to have, though.)

-Right now, I don't care much about the other stuff, but some of it sounds good.
(I'm interested in seeing what these new features for videos will be.)
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 01:17:37 pm »
All you'll have to do to modify the appearance of the site will be to submit a style sheet probably edited from this one (preview, unfinished). It's especially easy to do if you get the Web Developer extension for Firefox.

Also what's up with the apos glitch people talk about? I use them with no problem in comments.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 01:18:03 pm by F-Man »

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 06:28:37 pm »
Here's a picture of it. This is with AOL, and I'm going to try Firefox right now.

EDIT: Firefox displays it properly. I'm not sure about IE, but AOL uses it, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:31:36 pm by Marth »
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline F-Man

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 06:56:48 pm »
Here's a picture of it. This is with AOL, and I'm going to try Firefox right now.

EDIT: Firefox displays it properly. I'm not sure about IE, but AOL uses it, anyway.
[snapback]9880[/snapback]
LOL, &apos;.

That's XML and IE doesn't support it (which AOL is based on).

Rolken, use &#39!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:58:28 pm by F-Man »

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 04:30:10 pm »
Ooh! Ooh! Idea central!

How bout instead of the silly TSS ticker we have a ticker consisting of the latest records and stuff for TSC?

Like as an alternative to the News Updates panel.

I think it's cool. :(
<Tails> also "GET BLUE SPHERES" on a black-and-white TV remains the best special stage of all time

Offline SadisticMystic

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 05:08:59 pm »
You mean the way http://cyberscore.net does it?

LET'S TAKE MORE IDEAS FROM A SITE ROLKEN DOESN'T WANT US TO BE LIKE!

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 08:32:46 pm »
>_>

I didn't know they had that. Probably because I don't go to cyberscore.

But whatever.

Offline CosmicFalcon

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »
Let's have a marquee that says "CF IS AWESOME".

No site has done that before.

Offline yse

• Thrower of Gauntlets
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC: mike89
  • win10 chrome
  • Constitutions written: 1 and counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 11:36:32 pm »
Let's have a marquee that says "CF IS AWESOME".

No site has done that before.
[snapback]9927[/snapback]

I wonder why...

<3 Thorn.

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 12:44:18 am »
Hmm, I just noticed this...(I've been gone for too long)

The antirecord thing in the profile is cool. I've always wanted a way to just see all my worst stats and be able to improve em

Is there anyway you can add a drop down menu to choose which colored stats to view though? Like, Green times aren't exactly that great either, so it would be nice if there was a way to view all my green stats on one page, or any color for that matter...

If you could choose any colored stats to view on the antirecords page however, that would make the records page useless...so maybe get rid of the antirecords page, and just add the drop down menu on the records page instead? It would show all of your first place records by default, but you could choose to view other color groups as well. What do you guys think?

Also, that's probably something you could use for awards...like no blue/green/orange records. Though you'd probably have to set a minimum submission requirment so people can't just submit one orange time or something and take home an anti blue/green trophy >_>

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 12:46:25 am »
lol, that'd be funny. but yeah, that's a good idea.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Spinballwizard

• TSC Purist
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • That's enough of that.
    • View Profile
    • WSBW GameCenter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 01:17:41 pm »
Also, that's probably something you could use for awards...like no blue/green/orange records. Though you'd probably have to set a minimum submission requirment so people can't just submit one orange time or something and take home an anti blue/green trophy >_>
[snapback]9952[/snapback]
Cool, so I could have like, all yellow, red, and/or platinums, but as long as I have no oranges, I'm cool. >_>

Offline Rolken

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:30 pm »
[snapback]9952[/snapback]
Something similar is planned as an award. Also the "see these colors" concept is a fair one.

Also I am not opposed to adding features that cyberscore has; I've come up with a few and noticed their presence there before. I AM opposed to adding things because they have them.

Offline sonicam

• TSC's Most Easily Irritated Member
  • If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC Profile
  • win7 firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 12:41:41 am »
Honestly, what does Cyberscore have that TSC doesn't (besides the variety of games other than Sonic)? All I can see is just useless miscellaneous statistics that no one ever uses. Other than that, TSC is better arranged, but Cyberscore does add records to charts instantaneously, but that's not really needed.
Chaos Emeralds: Yellow, Red, Green, Blue and Purple.
Keys: Light Blue.

Click here to level up my card!

Offline Rolken

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 05:31:08 am »
They have a few knickknacks like the GIF button player ranking that would be kinda nifty but not nifty enough for me to have bothered yet.

Offline Bonzi77

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 12:12:19 am »
*Hits reply to all button* Y. E. S.

Chaos Emeralds: 5/8

Print

Hits: 1,135 | Hits This Month: 3 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.28 MB | Time: 0.09s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.