don't click here

My Sonic game idea

Print

Author Topic: My Sonic game idea  (Read 8949 times)

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« on: January 27, 2006, 02:20:38 pm »
As some of you may know, in Ultra Sonic's welcome thread I posted a Sonic game idea. Here it is in much greater detail.
-Basic concept: A 2D spin off game staring Amy (I love a good challenge and coming up with an idea for a spin off based on this character is a challenge). In terms of basic gameplay, think of it as a hybrid of a Sonic game and a MMX or Z style game. Here's a link (look for the E3 Trailer) that shows the combat aspects of the hybrid.) http://www.gamespot.com/gba/action/megamanzero3/media.html (note, best video in terms of skill level I could find) Of course, the other characters in the series will be playable (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Cream, and Shadow) and they will have their own unique story line and a different set of stages. As you play the game and defeat enemies with the hammer, it will level up, allowing for new moves to be used. Note: the game will also take upon the intense challenge of the later series that's part of the hybrid.
-Moves gained by leveling up (max level cap is 1+farthest stage progressed to): Lv2: 2 hit combo (must stand still). Lv3: additional hit to combo. Lv4: Aerial Hammer Spin (up+attack in air. Lv5: Hammer assisted spin dash (more Area Of Effect and damage to spin dash. Lv6: Powerful anti air attack (up+attack on ground). Lv7: Bouce Ball (more AOE and damage than Sonic's version but a slight delay time before use and less bounce, down+attack in air) Lv8: Hammer Toss: (down+attack on ground, medium range technique but left completely defenseless during the move.
-Upgrades: Like SA2B, my idea would have upgrades that can be found in the stage (vital ones are always found just before the first required use of them and in stage paths will always merge together at this point to guarrantee that it can't be missed. Here's a list of the one's I've come up with. Crystal Ring (A): Enables Light Dash. (Sonic and Shadow already have this move.) Some sort of boot upgrade (A): Enables Triangle Jump (Sonic and Shadow already have this.) Flame Ring (Sonic): Upgrades Spin Dash to do more damage, leave lingering flames that damage enemies, and allows stuff to be burned for making shortcuts.
-Weapons: For Shadow's gameplay, I figured that it would be cool if he used weapons for this game. The system for taking them is like the Z Knuckle system. Each weapon has an attribute that determines if an enemy (bosses included) are strong or weak against it. These attributes are piercing (Egg Lances), bludgeon (punches or anything that damages by smashing), slashing (Black Blade), ballistics (M-160), fire (wrist mounted flamethrower), electric, explosive (rocket launcher, and this attribute is based on the force of the explosion, not the flames), and energy (most Black Arms stlye guns).
-Timeline: 3 years after the Black Arms invasion. (Gives logic to how Eggman has managed to scavenge some remnants of Black Arms weapons for use with his robots in addition to stolen GUN weaponry.)
-Health: For this idea I decided to take inspiration from SA2 and give characters a health gauge. Being damaged with no rings just means you take double damage instead of losing a life. This means that merely touching an enemy will only deal minor damage at worst while their weapons will be more dangerous.
-Grading: Grading will be based on several categories; time (weight depends on character), enemies destroyed (see time), rings (how many rings you have), lives lost, damage taken (based on % health remaining), and style (the amount of cool moves used i.e. aerial tricks, rail tricks, weapons stolen, multi hit combos, etc.
-Stage ideas (which characters get these stages is undecided): Steel Ocean. The interior of a large submarine. While it's depth is changing, the stage rotates (like the rotating room trap in Castlevania 4.) Smart players will be able to use these rotations for shortcuts. The end of this stage has a boss that must be defeated in a time limit (the character is riding a missile during this). Siren Illusion. An entire stage in which players must figure out what's real or fake (anything could be an illusion; rings, enemies, items, or even platforms) in order to not fall to their doom. Shining Void. A more cerebral stage in which players must manipulate both light and darkness in order to proceed. However, there's a twist, the enemies in this stage either become stronger or weaker depending on the lighting, so there's the risk of clearing the path at the expense of making enemies more powerful. Magma Inferno. A volcano stage in which the boss is after the first act and act 2 is the escape.
-Boss ideas (either an Eggman vehicle or a robot, which story gets the boss is not decided): Egg Tyrant: A hijacked GUN tank with tons of weaponry including missile packs, twin cannons, and a chain gun. Egg Wyrm: A large dragon like robot armed with fire breath, fangs, claws, and a powerful tail. Egg Phantom: A cloaked ghost like robot that uses illusions to bait players into making mistakes (feigns an attack to make players dodge in a way that makes them easy targets for the real attack). Egg Hunter: A robot that combines the worst aspects of a tarantula and a praying mantis. Transforms into a stalker mode (less combat but more agile) and a destroyer mode (reverse of this). Shadow Android Prime. (Name is prototype) A particulary powerful Shadow Android who uses weapons and can imitate Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast. Egg Golem Type X: A nigh indestructible golem like vehicle that must be defeated by manipulating a series of mirrors so that they refract its photon beam into its reactor at the back of the mech.
-Secrets: What Sonic game idea would be complete without ideas for unlockables. In this case, my idea for secrets are 2D remakes of some of the really cool stages from 3D Sonic games. (Ideas include Sonic's Final Egg, Pyramid Cave, Final Rush, and The Last Way.)
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
  • Former admin, lucid dreamer, lover of burgers
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:05:46 pm »
It stars Amy?  Is this anything like Clwe's "One Girl Army"?  Or is it more of a classic sidescroller?

-Secrets: What Sonic game idea would be complete without ideas for unlockables. In this case, my idea for secrets are 2D remakes of some of the really cool stages from 3D Sonic games. (Ideas include Sonic's Final Egg, Pyramid Cave, Final Rush, and The Last Way.)

*squeals in delight*
Sweet!  I've tried to draw sprites and place them in some of those fan-made level designers, but they never work.  I hope yours works out; I'd love to see Final Rush redone by a fan, since

(Spoilers?  Probably not...)

the remake came out so well in Shadow the Hedgehog.
<RPGnutter> Well I think your reasoning was dumb, so you get sassed
<RPGnutter> Thats how it works

Offline F-Man

My Sonic game idea
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:09:20 pm »
*squeals in delight*
Sweet!  I've tried to draw sprites and place them in some of those fan-made level designers, but they never work.  I hope yours works out; I'd love to see Final Rush redone by a fan, since

(Spoilers?  Probably not...)

the remake came out so well in Shadow the Hedgehog.
[snapback]9136[/snapback]
I don't think he's making a fan game... Just posting of an idea of a game... Pointless, I know, but meh.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 05:11:52 pm »
Oops... I never pay attention...

Offline PsyBorg

• The Whateverman
  • TSC Profile
  • macosx safari
  • the fine young doctor is headed this way.
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 05:35:29 pm »
I'd love to see Lava Shelter or GUN Fortress remade. That would be awesome.

Too bad, it's just an idea, though. :(
This signature was typed on a #@^%ING COMPUTER. Copy and paste this into your signature if you hate Sony and / or Bidoofs.

Offline Thorn

• wroar
  • Architect emeritus
  • TSC Profile
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 02:03:30 pm »
Okay, I've got an idea.  I've ripped a few sprites from various games for Clwe's Sonic DIY fan-game.  If anyone could make some sprites resembling other Sonic levels and save them in .GIF format, I could place them in the game and try to make it available to everybody here.

If you've never heard of Sonic DIY, here's the link:
Sonic DIY
If you like that, here's a MSN group for level designers that was abandoned a while back:
Sonic DIY Group Page (Must become a member)

So if anyone has any Paint skills and would like to give it a go, say so.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:15:18 pm by gamersince93 »

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • TSC: RPGnutter
  • win10 chrome
  • ZURA ZURA CHUUPA CHUUPA CHUU CHUU
    • View Profile
    • I'm suffering help me Garian
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 07:51:45 pm »
So if anyone has any Paint skills and would like to give it a go, say so.
[snapback]9150[/snapback]

my paint skillz r 1337

Look here for exomaples:

www.soniccenter.org/ARRPEEGEE/UberBomberEmeraldMan4D
Did you not think I had a mind?

Offline Taco

• If I had a (ban)hammer
  • TSC: NintenDan
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/nintendan
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 05:49:16 pm »
Oooh...a  group for level design?

I used to design sonic levels some time ago, just on paper and stuff of course. I still might have a few drawings lying around...not that it would help or anything

I did make a crappy green hill level in paint once...

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 08:22:57 pm »
I used to design sonic levels some time ago, just on paper and stuff of course. I still might have a few drawings lying around...not that it would help or anything

I did make a crappy green hill level in paint once...
[snapback]9315[/snapback]

Yarr! cause we were then fan game makers! >_>

Also that 'crappy' Green Hill in Paint was pretty funky :o.

My Sonic game idea
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 12:15:20 pm »
Levels I would have  liked to see remade: Final Egg, Final Rush, GUN Fortress,and Sky Troops. But of course, that may never happen. :o

Also, funky UberEmeraldMan4D thing, RPG. <_<
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 12:16:10 pm by buddychaos0415 »
soniham is Taco's greatest typo.:o

CF is very... CFy.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 02:57:53 pm »
X) Thats Official Sonic Team though D:

I got that for all S Ranks :(

My Sonic game idea
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 03:21:29 pm »
You're still going at the S-Rank thing, aren't you?
soniham is Taco's greatest typo.:o

CF is very... CFy.

Offline Bilan

• Broseidon
  • win10 chrome
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 03:27:32 pm »
I have an S Rank screenshot for whenever I can be arsed to upload it somewhere.

Offline Marth

• The SA Player
  • TSC Profile
  • linux firefox
  • It's me! In all my polygonal glory! ^_^
    • View Profile
    • Mark's Site Thingy- 3-D graphics and game info
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 12:37:18 pm »
[snapback]9315[/snapback]
So did I (and probably every other Sonic fan).
I have countless levels and level segments for a bunch of 2-D and 3-D games.

I have a few newer ones that are bigger (and probably way better), and although
they were designed to take advantage of 3-D graphics, they'd work in 2-D with a few changes.
I have sort of a 2-D version of Emerald Coast. It cuts out some parts and adds new ones.
Maybe I can do a bunch of stages from SA (and make them more or less accurate).

As for drawing, I can probably do something with Paint.
I also have Blender for rendered graphics like in Donkey Kong Country,
or even true 3-D stuff, like in Yoshi's Island (but that would need new programming).
Right now, the Amy model is complete, or at least close enough.
I can make objects, environments, and some more characters, like Dr. Robuttnik.
Inactive member, but still... occasionally... checks his private messages and aging (former) records in SA.

Offline magnum12

• Awesome Overlord of TMMC
  • Broseidon
  • TSC Profile
  • winvista msie9
    • View Profile
My Sonic game idea
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:27:53 pm »
I've come up with some more ideas.
-Super Moves: Characters will be able to use special moves at the cost of rings. There will be three moves per character, a level 1, 2, and 3 move. However, I've only been able to come up with super moves for Shadow at this time. L1: Chaos Spear, L2: Chaos Control (passive move that protects the player from losing a life one time), L3: Chaos Blast.
-Stage Ideas:
1. Innocent Gear: A clock tower themed stage in which routes are altered based on the time on the system clock. (Something happens to alter the stage at the start of the hour and the new routes last for an hour.)
2. Stone Chaos: A haunted house with level and enemy designs that both spoof and pay tribute to Castlevania.
Ever know what its like to get pwned by a book? Sonic certainly does.

Print

Hits: 257 | Hits This Month: 1 | DB Calls: 8 | Mem Usage: 1.11 MB | Time: 0.11s | Printable

The Sonic Center v3.9
Copyright 2003-2011 by The Sonic Center Team.